Third-party Quote and Exchange Rate Program from hleofxquotes.

derekkent23

01 Jan, 2018 11:16 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I am a UK investor and have found that Alpha Vantage provide very poor support for UK/Irish/Luxenberg etc, domiciled funds.
I am currently testing a stand-alone program that was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The developer is in the beta stages of adapting it to work with Moneydance. When I say beta, this build as far as I can see is very stable and the quotes very consistent. No strange prices or for UK funds switching back and forward between Pence and Pounds. It has a lot of useful features. These include, obtaining prices from many stocks and fund quoted on different exchanges. The ability to convert quotes from one currency to another. Convert prices in Pence to Pounds, if required, for UK stocks and funds. Provide a means for importing all this data into Moneydance. Importing exchange rates.

Anyway, download the attached PDF, use the links to download the programs and follow the instructions on how to use.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use the program, hleofxquotes in association Mike Brays Security Price Loader and how to import the data into Moneydance.

Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA and Canadian stocks and funds are covered.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

Showing page 5 out of 10. View the first page

1. 121 Posted by hleofxquotes on 24 Apr, 2018 05:05 PM

@ JeremyB, from hleofxquotes, when you select to save the CSV file. Does the filechooser looks/behaves differently than the filechooser from Mike's extension?

If yes, the only thing I can think of the different in the JVM?

Another "gesture" to try: once you have the filechooser form Mike extension up, open the finder to the folder with the CSV file, try either

• drag and drop the CSV file onto the file chooser
    • drag and drop the folder onto the filer chooser

See if either will work for you.

2. 122 Posted by derekkent23 on 24 Apr, 2018 05:21 PM

NEW BUILD RELEASE “Build_20180422_206”.

To receive Email updates on this thread, ensure the box at top right of page has been set to SUBSCRIBE.

This free stand-alone program was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The developer has adapted it to work with Moneydance and is actively supporting the program. This build, is very stable and the quotes very consistent with the option of two sources, not Alpha Vantage. No strange prices. The program delivers the last traded price, not a price history, thus it does not overwrite your existing history. It provides quote for stocks & funds, from many stock exchanges US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. Provide a means for importing all this data into Moneydance. You can also import exchange rates along with your security prices. The program is in java, like Moneydance and thus runs on Windows, Mac and Linux computers.

UPDATES

1. Mike Bray has introduced a new extension, Security History Loader, alongside his existing Security Price Loader. This new extension has the ability to accept individual dates for each security, rather than setting a global date for all securities. To facilitate this feature, the program now exports the Last Traded Date for each security in the CSV file. For this to work the date format in the CSV file must be the same as set under FILES – PREFERENCES in Moneydance. Thus, a new feature has been added to the program under EDIT – EXPORT – SET MD CSV DATE to allow the CSV file date format to be selected from a dropdown list.

2. The exported CSV file now includes the tab name so the output from the two separate sources are saved under separate default file names.

Note: If you have securities in non-base currencies and want to import exchange rates you must update to the latest released build of Moneydance at https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software as this fixes bugs related to this feature. You must also run the latest build of the Security Price Loader extension, see PDF for link.

Download the attached updated PDF, use the links to download the programs and follow the instructions on how to use.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use the program, hleofxquotes in association Mike Brays Security Price Loader and how to import the data into Moneydance.

Please try this program and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.

Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Hope this helps.

Note: the link in the PDF takes you to the programmer, hleofxquotes, development site. This site lists the current released build for download, along with a number of other folders. The folder “old” contains old released builds. The folder “test” contains builds under development that are not ready for release and may contain bugs.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

3. 123 Posted by derekkent23 on 24 Apr, 2018 05:23 PM

4. 124 Posted by JeremyB on 25 Apr, 2018 01:15 AM

Mike/Derek (119/120),

Thanks for the swift replies.

I understand what you are describing and that is what I see when I do File/Open or File/Save in any other Mac program, but I don't see anything like that here. I have attached a screenshot of what is shown.

hleOfxQuotes (121),

Thanks also.

Yes. The file chooser/loader windows look the same in hleOfxQuotes and in the Security Price Loader (apart from minor differences in format), but in hleOfxQuotes it functions as expected, whereas in the loader it only displays the content of that hidden system folder and will not display the contents of any other folder.

I have copied the csv into my username directory and even the hard disk root directory, but the loader cannot find it in any other location.

As you suggested I dragged the csv file from my SD card onto the file chooser/loader screen. Doing so changed the directory in the dropdown to the one where the csv file is located, but it still does not display the contents of that directory. When I click on 'Open File' (having typed the filename manually) it gives a crazy long java error message (see attached screenshot). If I clear the error and then click on 'Load Data' on the main loader screen it tells me the csv file cannot be found, even though the correct path and filename is displayed in 'File Name' box.

I also tried putting a shortcut to the directory containing the csv in the hidden folder. Same as the drag/drop technique above, it points the loader to the correct directory but it still cannot find or load the csv.

So far, the only way I have found to get the loader to load the data is to copy the csv file into that hidden folder each time I want to import, which is doable but not really ideal.

Finally: what does JVM mean, please?

Jeremy

5. 125 Posted by hleofxquotes on 25 Apr, 2018 02:10 PM

JeremyB,
    That error looks really weird. The string after "File" and before "not Found" is being treated as the fileName. That string looks like the output of the textField toString() method. I am not sure how it could have gotten that value.

Re: JVM: Java Virtual Machine. For all practical purpose, it is the program Java used to run Moneydance and hleofxquotes. I am guessing that MD and hleofxquotes are using two different Java programs and that could have been the contributing factor in the different filechooser behavior.

Are you using any other extension that uses a file chooser. If yes, are those behavior similarly?

6. 126 Posted by hleofxquotes on 25 Apr, 2018 02:42 PM

JeremyB,
    I did a quick test:

• Install latest version of MD
    • Install Mike's extension
    • Choose file to use the file chooser and I am NOT seeing problem you are seeing

From MD console

Starting Moneydance 2017.7.1 (1671) at Wed Apr 25 07:38:53 PDT 2018
    Settings Folder: /Users/xyzxyz/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance
    Java: 1.8.0_162 (Oracle Corporation)
    Is in sandbox: true; restricted file access: false

7. 127 Posted by Mike Bray on 25 Apr, 2018 03:46 PM

Jeremy

What version of MD are you using? I have tested my extension with 2015
    and 2017. Both I believe use JRE 1.8. My extension does not work for
    versions of MD before 2015.

Regards
    Mike

8. 128 Posted by JeremyB on 25 Apr, 2018 05:14 PM

re: Posts 125, 126, 127.

I'm running the latest versions of MD (2017.7.1 Build 1671), Java (1.8 Build 171) and the extension (Build 2023) on Mac OS 10.13.4.

I have no other MD extensions installed that use a file finder/chooser.

Note that in the screenshot (post 126) the extension you have tested is actually the Security Price History extension, not the Security Price Loader extension, which is what I'm having trouble with.

I also tried uninstalling then reinstalling the extension, but that didn't help either.

When I opened the extension after reinstallation it had remembered all the settings from the previous installation, even the path in the filename box (which still didn't work). So using the Remove button on the Manage Extensions screen doesn't actually erase all data related to the extension.

Thanks for all your suggestions, but I think the best thing now is for me to give up on this extension and import via QIF, which works fine.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

9. 129 Posted by Mike Bray on 25 Apr, 2018 05:23 PM

Jeremy

In the directory for the MD files you will see some files
    securitypriceload.bpam and MRBPreferences.dict. These contain the
    parameters, if you delete them the extension goes back to the defaults.

Mike

10. 130 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Apr, 2018 05:27 PM

Hi, JeremyB

The last released build 206 see post122/123 main purpose was to support the Security History Loader, see PDF for details. Try loading this extension without uninstalling the Security Price Loader and see if the Security History Loader CHOOSE FILE works.
    hleofxquotes tested the Security History Loader on his Mac and it worked, see if it words for you. It would be good to sort this out.

11. 131 Posted by JeremyB on 26 Apr, 2018 08:29 AM

Derek,

Thanks again, but no joy.

For me the file chooser in the Security History Loader behaves identically to the Security Price Loader - defaulting to that hidden folder and unable to show the contents of any other folder.

Since the extension works for hleofxquotes on a configuration similar to mine (assuming he doesn't see the issue when running the Security Price Loader) it seems the problem is related to my setup. That is disappointing as my machine has never missed a beat and I've never had any compatibility issues previously.

The only thing I can think is that by updating to JRE build 171 I may have introduced a conflict with MD which runs on build 162.

Jeremy

12. 132 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Apr, 2018 09:14 AM

Hi Jeremy

Thank for trying the Security History Loader, at least the outcome is consistent, if not what we won’t.

The fact that you can see the CSV file if you put it into a hidden folder but invisible if it’s in a normal holder must be significant. Unfortunately, not having a Mac I can’t investigate. I presume Mikes in the same position. Perhaps hleofxquotes as a Mac user will come up with something. I hate things like this, something should work but doesn’t.

There is another extension “Text File Importer”. This one is supported by Moneydance so is available under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSIONS. Could you load this. Once installed, when you start this extension the first screen is a “Choose file to import”. In windows you can navigate to any folder and see files of any type. It may help to know if this extensions file choose screen works for you.

Just to add on windows Moneydance is using java 161 with a separate install of java 171.

Thank for your time on this.

Derek

13. 133 Posted by hleofxquotes on 26 Apr, 2018 01:45 PM

I just tried installing 'Security Price Loader extension' and am able to see the CSV file listed in my filechooser.

Interesting enough, I was able to replicate one of your "side issue". In the filechooser, if I enter a non-existing filename such as "abc.txt", I will see the popup with the long message started with "File xxxx not Found"

Another thing you can try:

• In the "File Name" textbox: you can enter the full path directly.
    • One way to get the file full path: open a "terminal" (shell), then from finder, drop the CSV file onto the just opened terminal.
    • Another way to get the file file full path, add a "service" menu item to finder. See: http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/19/copy-file-folder-path-mac-os-x/
  14. 134 Posted by Mike Bray on 26 Apr, 2018 01:50 PM

If you go to MoneyDance and do File/Open/Open Other it will load the
    file chooser. This is the same as the one in the Security Price Load.
    If this does not work then there is an issue with your MD installation.
    If it does then I am loading the FileChooser differently in the
    extension. I will investigate.

15. 135 Posted by JeremyB on 27 Apr, 2018 08:54 AM

Dear All,

re 132: I installed the Text File Importer extension, as requested. The file finder window within that extension works fine. It looks like the 'normal' Mac file finder (essentially the same as I see in all other programs) and is different to the finder that appears when I click 'Choose File' within the Security Price/Loader History extensions. See attachments 1 & 2 for comparison. Furthermore, the finder in the Text File Importer is identical to what I get when I do File/Open/Open Other in MD (I was requested to try this in post 134).

Please recall that the File Finder in the hleofxquotes program is the same as in the Security Price Loader/History extensions, except that it works for me there.

re 133: I already tried typing the full path into the "File Name" box. Copying and pasting the path from Terminal, makes no difference unfortunately: I still get "File not Found" error when I click on 'Load File'. Note also that if I enter the correct file name, then click 'Choose File' followed by Cancel (in the File Finder) that super-long error message appears.

re 134: Given that the finder looks different in your extensions when compared to MD itself (and also to the finder in the MD-supported Text File Loader extension), I'm not convinced that my MD installation is the problem.

Is the issue perhaps, that the extension needs to be given permission to access directories other than that hidden directory?

Jeremy

16. 136 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Apr, 2018 09:12 AM

Hi, JeremyB

Great feedback, full and complete.

As Mike indicated I am sure he will take a look.

Thanks

17. 137 Posted by Mike Bray on 27 Apr, 2018 10:05 AM

Jeremy

I have added a flag to the file chooser that allows you to see
    Directories as well as File. Please download and reinstall the Security
    Price Loader.

Thanks
    Mike

18. 138 Posted by JeremyB on 28 Apr, 2018 07:52 AM

Mike,

Sorry. No joy.

File Chooser looks and behaves exactly the same as before.

Jeremy

19. 139 Posted by hleofxquotes on 28 Apr, 2018 04:15 PM

Jeremy,

In the MD console, what are the output of the first few lines that look something like this

Starting Moneydance 2017.7.1 (1671) at Wed Apr 25 07:38:53 PDT 2018
    Settings Folder: /Users/xyzxyz/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance

In particular, I am curious your values for the line

20. 140 Posted by JeremyB on 28 Apr, 2018 11:50 PM

Hi,

Not sure not what 'MD Console' is, but the following has been cut/pasted from the log file which writes every time MD starts up.

=========== Starting Moneydance 2017.7.1 (1671) at Fri Apr 27 08:13:57 BST 2018
    Settings Folder: /Users/xxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance

Identical to yours as far as I can see. I obscured my user directory above by replacing with xxxxxx.

21. 141 Posted by hleofxquotes on 29 Apr, 2018 01:54 PM

Jeremy,

To test the theory that perhaps something is not completely right with your moneydance setting/installation, you could try

• Create another user/login on your Mac
    • Login as the new user
    • Install Moneydance from scratch
    • Install Mike extension and see how that goes
  22. 142 Posted by JeremyB on 30 Apr, 2018 09:27 PM

OK, I've tried two things.

1. Uninstall/download/reinstall MD+extension using my user account. No change.

2. As suggested above (141): Uninstall MD; create new user (with admin rights); login as new user and install MD+extension. Again zero difference. Still defaults to that system folder and can't see the contents of any other directory.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm going to give up now. The QIF import works, so I'll just use that. If you figure it out let me know though.

Jeremy

23. 143 Posted by UxR on 30 Apr, 2018 09:41 PM

Derek / Mike - many thanks for adding support for those extra decimals. BTC/LTC/ETH works flawlessly. It's funny that it doesn't get rates for other cryptos, despite Yahoo having those on their site: https://finance.yahoo.com/cryptocurrencies/ I seem to get a rate of 1.0 for all others.

May I ask what the reason was for including the tab name to the output of exported CSV files hleofxquotes? I now need to re-load a different .csv when I go from loading one source to another, however, there might be a reason for this change that I'm not seeing. Curious to hear.

Very happy otherwise overall - I got multiple currencies and securities in GBP/USD/SEK and it's all loading and updating wonderfully daily.

Have not tried History Price Loader yet. Is there an easy way to obtain a historical data for our currencies and securities in CSV?

24. 144 Posted by Mike Bray on 30 Apr, 2018 09:52 PM

Jeremy
    I can understand your frustration. I now have access to a Mac and can see what might be the
    issue. I am working on a change which might work but it will take me a few days.
    Regards
    Mike

Sent from my iPad

25. 145 Posted by derekkent23 on 30 Apr, 2018 10:27 PM

Hi UxR

I haven’t check many other cryptocurrencies but it does seem that despite Yahoo publishing them on their web page they are not available for download, not sure why, a Yahoo issue.

The reason for using the two-tab names in the exported CSV files was to meet a request from another user. He was using both sources to get all his quotes and found it inconvenient that the same name was used for both exported CSV files, one overwriting the other. I can see this means using Choose file instead of Load file in the Security Price Loader. Swings and roundabouts.

Hleofxquotes has considered trying to obtain historical data using his program but I think this is a long-term objective.

It may be possible to obtain historical data from other sources and use the Security History loader to import it into Moneydance. I have not investigated this route for securities and exchange rates. I have been playing around in the last couple of days with importing Market Index data into Moneydance, FTSE 100 and FTSE 350 for this year, as a test, using Mikes extension. Then using Hleofxquotes program to update the indexes on a daily basis. The two sources the Hleofxquotes program uses seem to support most Market indices.

Anyway, I am glad your finding Hleofxquotes and Mikes work useful. Good to be appreciated.

26. 146 Posted by hleofxquotes on 30 Apr, 2018 10:56 PM

May I ask what the reason was for including the tab name to the output of exported CSV files hleofxquotes? I now need to re-load a different .csv when I go from loading one source to another, however, there might be a reason for this change that I'm not seeing. Curious to hear.

I did not like that change either ;-). I think I am going to add an option that you can set to include the quote source name (tab name) or not.

27. 147 Posted by Mike Bray on 01 May, 2018 04:08 PM

I have updated the Security Price Loader and Security History Loader to be sensitive to the platform being used. They will both now open a normal File dialog when used on a Mac (build 2025).

28. 148 Posted by Uffe on 07 May, 2018 07:27 PM

Hi Mike,

I have run into a problem with your price loader (build 2020) when I want to upload currency rates and crypto currency prices. I have succeed in finding the right codes in Yahoo and have Hleofxquotes program (build 205) to use the normal YYYZZZ=X format for all the rates/prices but it seems that your loader program will not find all currencies as shown on the attachment.

All normal currencies I have against DKK as that is my home currency - all the crypto currencies I have against EUR as my trading platform does not allow DKK.

Am I doing something wrong?

29. 149 Posted by Mike Bray on 07 May, 2018 07:38 PM

Hi Uffe
    The extension only deals with currencies that appear on the summary screen. You need to
    Select the ‘show on summary screen’ on the edit currency screen.
    Mike

Sent from my iPad

30. 150 Posted by jonthaler on 08 May, 2018 01:09 AM

I am having trouble getting the Security Price Loader to work. I think I have created a good CSV file (attached) using hleOfxQuotes-gui-Build_20180422_206-exec.jar.

NOTE: Both hleOfxQuotes-gui-Build_20180422_206-exec.jar and the Security Price Loader were downloaded and installed today. I am running build 1671 of MD.

After I launch MD and SPL, I click on choose file and load file, then select the ticker and price fields. That results in a window (SLP_1, attached) that looks similar to what’s in the documentation.

I then click on save parameters (which, AFAIK, does nothing), then Load Data. That results in another window (SLP_2, attached), which says “Save Selected Values”. (Where do I select them?) In any case, if I click on "Save", nothing happens in MD. Prices are not updated.

What am I doing wrong?

Jon

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Hleofxquotes_Beta_Program_used_with_Moneydance_V2.pdf 565 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac