Third-party Quote and Exchange Rate Program from hleofxquotes.

derekkent23

01 Jan, 2018 11:16 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I am a UK investor and have found that Alpha Vantage provide very poor support for UK/Irish/Luxenberg etc, domiciled funds.
I am currently testing a stand-alone program that was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The developer is in the beta stages of adapting it to work with Moneydance. When I say beta, this build as far as I can see is very stable and the quotes very consistent. No strange prices or for UK funds switching back and forward between Pence and Pounds. It has a lot of useful features. These include, obtaining prices from many stocks and fund quoted on different exchanges. The ability to convert quotes from one currency to another. Convert prices in Pence to Pounds, if required, for UK stocks and funds. Provide a means for importing all this data into Moneydance. Importing exchange rates.

Anyway, download the attached PDF, use the links to download the programs and follow the instructions on how to use.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use the program, hleofxquotes in association Mike Brays Security Price Loader and how to import the data into Moneydance.

Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA and Canadian stocks and funds are covered.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

Showing page 3 out of 10. View the first page

1. 61 Posted by Uffe on 11 Mar, 2018 07:39 PM

Hi hleofxquotes,

Thanks, that solved my issue.

Is there a way to add additional default currencies as I could use DKK?

2. 62 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 Mar, 2018 08:36 PM

If you look under EDIT – QUOTES – CURRENCY is DKK listed in the Dropdown?

3. 63 Posted by Uffe on 12 Mar, 2018 06:02 AM

Hi Derek,

No, DKK is not listed in the Dropdown at the moment.

4. 64 Posted by hleofxquotes on 12 Mar, 2018 06:41 AM

Hmm ... the way I simulate your locale is to use

java -Duser.country=DK -Duser.language=da -jar hleOfxQuotes-gui-Build_20180311_195-exec.jar

and the drop down menu should look something like this
  5. 65 Posted by PaulF on 12 Mar, 2018 10:04 AM

Hi Hleofxquotes

Thanks for your post on updating the program for a right click open as qif function. Please let me know I can help in any way eg testing.

Paul

6. 66 Posted by derekkent23 on 12 Mar, 2018 04:58 PM

Hi Uffe

Can you post a screen shot of the drop down in EDIT – QUOTES – CURRENCY as Hleofxquotes has done and confirm you are using test build 195?

7. 67 Posted by hleofxquotes on 12 Mar, 2018 05:00 PM

@PaulF, will let you know. Likely I will get to it on the coming week-end.

8. 68 Posted by Uffe on 12 Mar, 2018 06:35 PM

Hi

Please find below a screen dump from build 195.

It might be relevant in this case. My home location in Windows is set to US with formats set to Danish/Denmark.

So my Windows act as an English one with the exception of time/date/numbers.

9. 69 Posted by hleofxquotes on 12 Mar, 2018 08:41 PM

Re: It might be relevant in this case. My home location in Windows is set to US with formats set to Danish/Denmark.

I see. That might have been the reason. To confirm, can you get the following info for me:

Help -> About
    look for string
    Locale: someValueHere

I probably is going to add another choice to let user enter the currencyCode directly.

For those curious why the existing currency code list does not include all the standard values. Tool is originally developed for msmoney and OFX and the currency code list has only the codes supported by OFX.

10. 70 Posted by derekkent23 on 12 Mar, 2018 09:11 PM

Hi Uffe

If windows were set for your location, then in the hleofxquotes program, under Help, would look something like the screen shot.
    Hleofxquotes proposal to add a user enterable currency code would cover cases like yours.

11. 71 Posted by Uffe on 13 Mar, 2018 06:52 PM

Hi hleofxquotes,

I would say it is related to my Windows setup.

As the screen dump shows - Locale is set to en_US in my case

12. 72 Posted by hleofxquotes on 14 Mar, 2018 02:43 AM

A quick work-around for now: force the JVM to locale da_DK.

java -Duser.country=DK -Duser.language=da -jar hleOfxQuotes-gui-Build_20180311_195-exec.jar

That will allow you to set the currency code from the pull-down to DKK.

Once that is done, the currency code will be stored and subsequent start will work with the new currency code.

13. 73 Posted by derekkent23 on 14 Mar, 2018 08:08 AM

Hi Uffe

I don’t know if you are familiar with running a program using a command line, in case you are not then do the following.

In the Windows search box type CMD
    Click on Command Prompt to open a black window.
    You need to change the displayed directory path to point to the folder holding the program.
    To change the path, enter the cd followed by the path. Note the space after cd For example

cd \Users\User_Name\Documents\

once your command line points to the correct folder use Ctrl C to copy the next line and Ctrl V to paste at the > in the command prompt window.

then press Enter and the program should start.

Now under EDIT – QUOTES – CURRENCY you should be able to set the default currency to DKK.

When you close the command prompt window the program will close. You can now double click on the normal program line

hleOfxQuotes-gui-Build_20180311_195-exec.jar

or shortcut and the program will retain the default currency as DKK. DKK will be retained as the default currency even after a reboot

Hope this helps.

14. 74 Posted by hleofxquotes on 14 Mar, 2018 09:46 PM

To celebrate Pi day ;-)

New version: Build_20180314_196

https://github.com/hleofxquotes/hleofxquotes/tree/master/dist/test/...

Changes:
    1. Currency: in the pull down list, user can edit and enter a new currency code directly.
    2. Add menu item to open QIF. If user has associate QIF to MD, choose menu QIF -> Open as QIF will simulate as if user had double-click on the QIF file.

15. 75 Posted by PaulF on 16 Mar, 2018 08:42 AM

Many thanks hleofxquotes. I will have a test at the weekend. Just a quick question, the qif files seems to be different between the open as qif file and the save as qif file. The open as qif file looks to have a lot less fields. Paul

16. 76 Posted by derekkent23 on 16 Mar, 2018 10:13 AM

Hi PaulF

Strange, during my testing I did a file comparison and the two files were identical.

17. 77 Posted by derekkent23 on 16 Mar, 2018 05:56 PM

NEW BUILD RELEASE “Build_20180315_199”.

This free stand-alone program was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The developer has adapted it to work with Moneydance and is actively supporting the program. This build, is very stable and the quotes very consistent. No strange prices. The program delivers the last traded price, not a price history, thus it does not overwrite your existing history. It provides quote for stocks & funds, from many stock exchanges US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The program is in java, like Moneydance and thus runs on Windows, Mac and Linux computers.

UPDATES

1. Part of the initial setup is to set a Default Currency under EDIT – QUOTES – CURRENCY. Prior to this build the list of counties/currencies was fixed. With this release, if necessary, the user’s local currency is added to the list for selection, based on computer setup. In addition, a 3-digit Alphabetic Currency Codes to ISO 4217 can be added.

2. Streamline the import of a QIF file into Moneydance to remove the need to first save a QIF file, locate the file with a file finder, then drag and drop the QIF file into Moneydance.

3. In the output windows change column text justification to increase readability.

Note: If you have securities in non-base currencies and want to import exchange rates you must update to the latest preview build of Moneydance at https://infinitekind.com/preview as this fixes bugs related to this feature. You must also run the latest build of the Security Price Loader extension, see PDF for link.

Download the attached updated PDF, use the links to download the programs and follow the instructions on how to use.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use the program, hleofxquotes in association Mike Brays Security Price Loader and how to import the data into Moneydance.

Please try this program and comment on any problems you find.

Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Hope this helps.

Note: the link in the PDF takes you to the programmer, hleofxquotes, development site. This site lists the current released build for download, along with a number of other folders. The folder “old” contains old released builds. The folder “test” contains builds under development that are not ready for release and may contain bugs.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

18. 78 Posted by JimRB on 18 Mar, 2018 03:47 PM

Suggestion for improvement:

As the hleOfxQuotes always saves the csv file in the same place with the same name, please could that filename be remembered by the Security Price Loader?
    At present, It already remembers that the file is in the downloads folder, but I have to manually choose the file to load - whereupon the loader remembers the parameters such as decimal places, and dropping the exchange suffix.

19. 79 Posted by derekkent23 on 18 Mar, 2018 04:12 PM

Hi JimRB

Following your post I have asked Mike Bray to take a look at a similar request by hleofxquotes in which he put forward the idea of using Copy and Paste as a transfer means between the two programs. See https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2015/issues/20/add-support-...
    You can post to add your support for the request on Mikes site if you like.

20. 80 Posted by JimRB on 19 Mar, 2018 08:37 AM

Hi Mike
    How do I get the information from hleofxquotes in a paste able format? So far as I can see it is only saved as files.
    Jim

21. 81 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Mar, 2018 09:00 AM

Hi JimRB

Hleofxquotes has not added a CSV Export/Copy button yet. I think he is waiting to see if Mike can commit to adding an Import/Paste button to import the CSV data into his Security Price Loader.
    I note your post on Mike site, let’s see what happens, fingers crossed.

22. 82 Posted by Mike Bray on 19 Mar, 2018 01:05 PM

When I looked at this request I thought that you wanted me to allow the content of the clipboard to be loaded into my prices screen instead of loading the data from a file. If that is the case it is not a simple matter. The extension first loads the file to get the list of fields. This allows the user to select the fields for each item to be loaded. When you click on Load Data it opens the file again and loads the data using the fields the user has selected to get the data.

If you want what I think you do then I can see two ways of this working:

1. I have a facility that allows the user to paste the data into a temporary file and then it is loaded as if it was a normal file as now. This allows the data to be in any format

2. We agree on a data format and I provide a facility for the user to paste the data directly into Prices screen.

Both options require quite a bit of work for something I wrote just to help me because UK prices are not available via an API.

What I have done, though, is to add a button that loads the file specified in the File Name field. Also I now remember the last file loaded so it will be a simple matter of starting the extension and clicking on Load File.

To me this is the easiest way.

By the way I will look at having another extension, based on this one, that loads history data.

23. 83 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Mar, 2018 02:55 PM

Thanks Mike for posting a reply to the request to streamline the import of CSV data into your Security Price Loader.

Also, thanks for outlining the processes used to import data from the CSV file.

Of the two options you outlined the second would be my preference. Hleofxquotes uses a CSV format which happily imports into your extension using defined fixed headers.

However, the addition of the “Load File” button and the fact that the path to and the file name are now remembered in build 2021 make this a good compromise. Option 2 would only reduce button presses by one and thus I don’t think would justify extensive work by you.

Thanks Mike for your efforts.

24. 84 Posted by UxR on 06 Apr, 2018 07:24 PM

derekkent23, thank you SO much for this. I've been using it for few weeks without major issues in the UK (£ as the base currency) for UK mutual funds and a couple of stocks on Nasdaq.

If I may, as a suggestion for additional functionality, just as there are FT and Yahoo sources, perhaps a source for Cryptocurrencies rates?

25. 85 Posted by UxR on 06 Apr, 2018 07:26 PM

Also, thanks to Hleofxquotes and Mke Bray of course!

26. 86 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Apr, 2018 09:43 PM

Hi Uxr.

Really glad you are finding the stand-alone program by Hleofxquotes fulfils your needs in obtaining securities prices.

I am not a expert on Cryptocurrencies but it looks like a small number are supported. See screen shot for Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin. It you can list the ones you are interested in?

27. 87 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Apr, 2018 11:05 AM

Hi Uxr.

I did some more testing on Cryptocurrencies.

I set up Bitcoin as a new currency in Moneydance with the symbol “BTC”. As my base currency is the British Pound and the default currency in the stand-alone program is set to GBP I left the association in the Moneydance Currency/Security history window for Bitcoin as British Pounds.

In the stand-alone program the symbol need to convert Bitcoins into the currency associated with Bitcoins in Moneydances, in my case British Pound. This means the symbol I added in the Quote Source Yahoo tab was “GBPBTC=X”.

The security Price Loader recognised BTC and imported the exchange rate correctly into Moneydance.

So to some extent at least Cryptocurrencies are handled

Hope this helps.

28. 88 Posted by UxR on 07 Apr, 2018 11:22 AM

Hi Derek.

Cheers for this. I use GBP as a default currency as well.

I did get it to work with the same setup as you just described in your latest post:
    GBPBTC=X
    GBPETH=X
    GBPLTC=X

That said, the rates that I get, which in case of BTC is 0.0002BTC, are rounded up too much, i.e. they aren't exact enough. In other words, as 1BTC is around 4,870.69 GBP at the moment, 1GBP should then really be 0.00020531BTC.

Is there a way to either 1) import the additional digits into MD or 2) get "BTCGBP=X" to import into MD (at the moment it is not recognizing this rate as BTC/GBP)?

29. 89 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Apr, 2018 12:54 PM

Hi Uxr.

Try "BTCGBP=X,GBPBTC=X/BTCGBP=X" in quote source tab.
    I had to delete the currency Bitcoins and re-add with more decimal places.
    See if this gets you closer to what you need and report back.
    ONLY PROBLEM IS THIS GIVE THE INVERSE OF THE EXCHANGE RATE
    Maybe hleofxquotes can invert the value in export file, will ask.

30. 90 Posted by UxR on 07 Apr, 2018 02:38 PM

Hi Derek. Indeed this give the inverse rate again.

Thanks.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Hleofxquotes_Beta_Program_used_with_Moneydance_V2.pdf 565 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac