Third-party Quote and Exchange Rate Program from hleofxquotes.

derekkent23

01 Jan, 2018 11:16 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I am a UK investor and have found that Alpha Vantage provide very poor support for UK/Irish/Luxenberg etc, domiciled funds.
I am currently testing a stand-alone program that was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The developer is in the beta stages of adapting it to work with Moneydance. When I say beta, this build as far as I can see is very stable and the quotes very consistent. No strange prices or for UK funds switching back and forward between Pence and Pounds. It has a lot of useful features. These include, obtaining prices from many stocks and fund quoted on different exchanges. The ability to convert quotes from one currency to another. Convert prices in Pence to Pounds, if required, for UK stocks and funds. Provide a means for importing all this data into Moneydance. Importing exchange rates.

Anyway, download the attached PDF, use the links to download the programs and follow the instructions on how to use.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use the program, hleofxquotes in association Mike Brays Security Price Loader and how to import the data into Moneydance.

Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA and Canadian stocks and funds are covered.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 03 Jan, 2018 07:27 PM

Latest Release of the third-party stand-alone Quote and Exchange Rate Program from hleofxquotes. Build 172.
    Fix for bug that failed to return quotes from some securities that included the symbol “:”

Thanks to hleofxquotes

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the programs and follow the instructions on how to use.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use the program, hleofxquotes in association Mike Brays Security Price Loader and how to import the data into Moneydance.

Please try this program and comment on any problems you find.
    Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA and Canadian stocks and funds are covered.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Neil Barrett on 05 Jan, 2018 05:40 PM

Thanks for your detailed instructions. Having downloaded the hleofxquotes programme, I have now used it on two different days after the UK market has closed. Prices for a total of 36 UK stocks were downloaded into a QIF file, then uploaded into MD (latest version) using the "File - Import" route. I used the FT tab, and checked the prices with my yahoo app on my phone. All were spot on.
    I had a couple of very minor issues, caused by my lack of experience rather than bugs in the programme. Two things to watch:

1. It is imperative that the ticker codes in MD are identical with those used in hleofxquotes, otherwise the value will not import..

2. I used the .L suffix to indicate the London Exchange. However, 3 of my stocks did not like this, but when the .L was removed (in both the programme and MD!), the process went smoothly. Apparently, most stocks do not actually require the .L extension at all in the with the FT quote source, but they probably do when using Yahoo. When a stock does not update, you can see this in the "Not Found Prices" tab, enabling you to hunt for the correct one.

It's now two months since the extension in MD stopped working, and I am quite happy to continue using this method. Creating the QIF file takes about 15 seconds for all my stocks, and uploading into MD was virtually instantaneous. However, it would be useful if MD could confirm that the upload has been successful, as it does with other imports.

I still have to test the programme with UK funds (OEICs), and will do that next week and report back.

The main problem that I now have is that after using Alphavantage, my historical share prices for the last 6 months are utter garbage. Most values are either too high (Euros or Dollars?) or two low, by a factor of 100 ish. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for a good source of historical prices that I can import?

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 Jan, 2018 06:15 PM

No software build change.

PDF updates.
    1. Add Quick Start Guide.
    2. Add selection of local default currency.
    3. Approach used for security price currency conversion modified.

Download the attached updated PDF, use the links to download the programs and follow the instructions on how to use.

Please try this program and comment on any problems you find.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by Neil Barrett on 09 Jan, 2018 09:59 PM

I have used Hleofxquotes for several days now for my UK shares. No errors in downloading, or problems in uploading into MD. It works a treat, once you remember to ensure that the ticker codes in MD and the QIF file are identical.
    As mentioned previously, I have now carried out a small test using UK funds - I don't have many! Firstly, I have just downloaded the latest prices using Hleofxquotes software. Using Yahoo, I found that the .L extension was absolutely necessary. Two other points though:
    1. The Yahoo values are often several days out of date.
    2. The values are given to 3 significant figures only.
    I'll post my thoughts about the FT option in a little while. In the meantime, here's a screenshot of some results with the Yahoo source.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 Jan, 2018 10:19 PM

Hi, take a look at the new PDF in post 3

It outline setting up a default local currency. Once done all GPX/GBP quotes will be in GBP. To prevent the conversion you now add /GBX/GBX

Note change in symbol entry in my screen shot.
    The one of the two symbols I could read from your screen shot on FT return more places.

Hope this helps

6. 6 Posted by Neil Barrett on 09 Jan, 2018 10:25 PM

Hi again,
    Firstly, please note that in the above screenshot the three ticker codes do not correspond to the results. Some of the results went into Not Found Prices area.

I repeated the exercise using the FT tab - results attached.
    A couple of things to note.
    1. The .L extension is not needed - in fact it won't work if you use it.
    2. Results are always more up-to-date than with Yahoo.
    3. Some funds seem to have more significant figures than Yahoo.
    4. One of the funds (Emerging Markets) gave a result in pounds rather than pence, but this was fine once I included /GBX/GBP as in the screenshot.
    Please note that I have been playing with this for a few days, so my conclusions are not based on just this test!

Overall conclusions are that this method of uploading data into MD works very well indeed, once you have checked various things like ticker codes and made sure that you change pence to pounds when necessary.

So, thank you Derek for your time and trouble in making it possible to upload data into MD. I'm glad it's sorted! Now I need to sort out my historical data problem. I'll start a new thread and hope that one of the IK support staff offers assistance.

7. 7 Posted by Neil Barrett on 09 Jan, 2018 10:30 PM

Our messages just crossed. Thanks again, and I'll take on board what you say. That's great!

8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 Jan, 2018 10:35 PM

Did you see my post 5 about changes outlined in the PDF in post 3?

Can you post the Symbols and Names of funds that could not be found.

Thanks

9. 9 Posted by Neil Barrett on 09 Jan, 2018 11:00 PM

Thanks again,

Yes, I've now taken a look at your latest .pdf.

Sorry if I have been ambiguous, but the only time that codes found their way into the "Not Found" area was when I had got them wrong, eg with .L in FT Quotes, or without it in Yahoo Quotes. With the correct code, downloading is fine - just the question of Pounds/Pence on one fund, but that's down to the source data.

10. 10 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Jan, 2018 09:54 AM

Hi, Neil

Thanks for the feed back
    Which symbol are you having issue with Pounds/Pence and what do you wont the Converted Price to be in? GBX or GBP.

11. 11 Posted by mxpitt on 10 Jan, 2018 09:28 PM

Hi Derek
    I have done some testing of UK stocks using the latest version of Hleofxquotes (172). It seems to work correctly on the Yahoo2 source and OK apart from 2 'not founds' on the FT source.
    I used the following symbols for a selection of company shares and investment trusts:
    aaev.l/GBX/GBP,asl.l/GBX/GBP,adig.l/GBX/GBP,abd.l/GBX/GBP,bp.l/GBX/GBP,dndl.l/GBX/GBP,fcs.l/GBX/GBP,iem.l/GBX/GBP,mwy.l/GBX/GBP,rmg.l/GBX/GBP,smt.l/GBX/GBP,trg.l/GBX/GBP

I attach the file showing the output.

Some points:
    1. As per Neil's comments above you need the .L suffix to get UK results. The same source symbols worked for both Yahoo2 and FT.
    2. The Yahoo2 and FT sources appear to give the same values and look correct.
    3. The FT source gave 'not found for IEM.L (Impax Environmental) and MWY.L (Mid Wynd International)
    4. The UK£ to pence conversion worked fine.

So I'm happy that this app gives correct results for UK shares for the current day. What would be extremely useful would be an extension to get equivalent results for a specified date or date range.

One question - Moneydance can't use the Yahoo source for getting stock values so how is it possible for Hleofxquotes to use it?

Thanks for your work
    Matthew

12. 12 Posted by Neil B on 10 Jan, 2018 11:00 PM

Hi Derek,
    The fund which gave the value in Ponds instead of pence was GB0030881550/GBX/GBX, JPM Emerging Markets. However, the /GBX/GBX ensured that it stayed in pounds after conversion, and was therefore compatible with all the other values.

Hi Matthew,
    Your two stocks that FT could not find behaved perfectly when the .L was left out. It seems that most stocks do not actually need the .L extension, whereas the opposite is true with Yahoo. I prefer to stick with FT, (funds more up-to-date / accurate), and once you've determined the correct ticker , there should be no problem.

I agree with your comments about historical prices. The ones provided by the Alphavantange extension have basically ruined my historical data for many shares - Investment trusts in particular,. I will start a new thread on this topic, in the hope that some knowledgeable person from IK will be able to help!

13. 13 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Jan, 2018 11:03 PM

Hi mxpitt, when using FT try for Impax Environmental IEM:LSE and for Mid Wynd International MWY:LSE
    That is London Stock Exchange. It can be confusing.

As you have set the default local currency to GBP then there is no need to add the attribute /GBX/GBP to the symbols. Even if the price is returned in Pence it will be converted into Pounds automatically and used in the exported files and displayed in the Converted Prices tab. If, however the Price is returned in Pence and you wont it to say in pence you add the attribute /GBX/GBX. I am concerned that I may not have made this feature understandable in the latest PDF? Can you take another look and comment?

Glad you are finding the program useful.

As for your last question I was wondering that.

14. 14 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Jan, 2018 11:17 PM

Hi, Neil was “ensured that it stayed in pounds after conversion” a typo? Should it have been “ensured that it stayed in pence after conversion” or am I missing the point?
    You are correct about mxpitt the two securities MWY and IEC
    I am afraid I jumped in accepting they did not work without checking as I know some securities on FT need an exchange extension. This is normally true of securities quoted on more than one stock exchange. Thanks for checking.

15. 15 Posted by dwg on 10 Jan, 2018 11:34 PM

Regarding why this tool can get data from Yahoo and Moneydance cannot the answer is buried somewhere in the 100's of treads on this topic.

The error message we received back then was basically that Moneyance was not authorised to access the data and then we got the forbidden message. This is really saying that Verizon, the now, owner of Yahoo do not want third party apps to access the pricing data and thus they prevented the method being used.

Some enterprising programmers however found another way to do so. This however does not change the fundamental position that Verizon is not authorising access.

Sean made the comment that this could become a cat and mouse game with Verizon making changes and programmers looking to find ways around it, not a particularly good long term approach and probably of questionable ethics especially for a company.

I believe that TiK are incorporated in the US and thus it could be easy for Verizon to take legal action against TiK, the result of which I would expect, if it was proceeded with, to be the demise of TiK, Verizon have deep pockets and I think could take the position that this would provide an example to others of what happens if you illegally used their data feed. An individual is probably not worth going after so lone programmers are unlikely to be worth the trouble and expense.

I believe the tool can also use the Financial Times, Sean did approach them but was told that FT are not licensed to distribute the data via a channel and Moneydance is considered to be a channel.

16. 16 Posted by Neil B on 10 Jan, 2018 11:38 PM

Hi again Derek.
    Yes, all my stocks/funds prices are delivered in pence, then converted to pounds. The exception is the Emerging markets fund, which is delivered in pounds and stays in pounds after conversion.
    Thanks for all your help and support - greatly appreciated! I'm surprised that this thread has only 5 watchers in total. Perhaps the rest of the users interested in share/fund prices are happy with the updated MD extension, and not too concerned about the large number of errors, particularly in some of the historical data!

17. 17 Posted by Paul Fincher on 12 Jan, 2018 10:23 AM

Hi derekkent23,
    I am a MD user in the UK and found that the built in stock price updater stopped working so decided to give this Extension a go after reading this discussion.
    Installing JRE and getting the Java program helOfxQuotes Build 172 working was quite straight forward. I have used JRE before but i dont think that anyone will have problems with this side.
    Likewise, installing Mikes Security Price Loader extension was easy as well. As long as you ignore the warning message.
    I have only been able to get the download using the FT tab. Though that isnt a problem as it gives all the prices that i want.
    Its even better than the old built-in price getter because as long as you know the ISIN code of the fund or unit trust, it will get its price as well.
    Only slight problem i had was with South32 price that would return the price in AUD. By changing the ticker to S32.L and ticking the box to remove the Exchange it gives me the price in GBP without problem.
    I like that you can select the date to use to import the data as you can run only helOfxQuotes JRE everyday and then load them into MD once a week.
    I will see how I get on over the next month or so and might try using OFX as inputs but that does look a little more complex as i have more than one account and the XML needs the account number. So would have to duplicate that part or edit the xml.
    Anyway I just wanted to say a very big Thank You for telling me about this workaround.

18. 18 Posted by derekkent23 on 12 Jan, 2018 11:16 AM

Hi, Paul

I am glad you have found hleofxquotes program useful and you haven’t run into any issues.
    The hardest part is often finding the correct symbol for a security.
    The hleofxquotes program has the ability to change the symbol in the exported file as displayed in the Converted Prices tab. So to remove the “.L” add an conversion attribute to the symbol to give S32/S32.L
    If you are not importing exchange rates from hleofxquotes program did you try using a QIF file, less steps. It uses the last traded date for each security rather than one set date used by the Security Price Loader. You can import the QIF file into any investment account, this account does not have to contain all the securities you want to import, they get imported anyway. See PDF for more details. I have never tried the QFX file. It is intended for users of MS Money, so if you do want to try it be careful, do an export backup first in case things go wrong.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Hleofxquotes_Beta_Program_used_with_Moneydance_V2.pdf 565 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac