Running Moneydance Application from Cloud Service

james f

26 Mar, 2013 06:05 AM

Is it possible to run the Moneydance Application from a Cloud based service?

In other words, share one Moneydance Application among several users via the Cloud (such as Dropbox) using a Web Browser?

Thank you in advance,
jamesf

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 27 Mar, 2013 01:19 PM

Hi James,

I can't see how working through a web browser would work, but if the cloud-based program you were using were something like Dropbox, where the program synced the files themselves directly on your local drive, that would have a better chance of working.

I think the problem you would run into with trying this is that Moneydance will want to save things like your configuration files on the local hard drive, and since this location is not user-definable, this configuration information will not be shared between the computers. Most importantly, losing this configuration information would mean that the program would never remember where your data file was stored or that the program was registered. You may be able to solve this with symlinks on the local computer to sync them with the cloud service, but I don't know of anyone who has attempted syncing to this extent.

I don't remember off hand which systems have had this problem, but I do recall some users who were trying to share the entire program on a network drive were running into difficulties, but that may have been from a file permissions or lock error that would be caused by multiple people trying to use the same files at the same time on a network. That wouldn't necessarily translate over to a cloud based service, but it could. Different operating systems also have different abilities (and ease) to run programs that are stored in non-default locations.

You may also run into issues with differences in the locally installed version of Java, which presumably you wouldn't be sharing between the computers.

We usually recommend that users install Moneydance locally on all of their computers for these reasons, and only share their data file via a cloud-based service to sync their computers. Since our licensing agreement allows for users to register as many computers as they have in their household for personal use with the same license key, this is usually by far the simplest option.

Ethan Tupelo
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by Jean-Pierre on 28 Mar, 2013 09:41 AM

There are at least two applications of a cloud service that I think are vital. They have to do with managing reminders when you are on the move, and synchronising when you are on the move separately. When my wife and I are both on a journey for a longer period (say 2-3 months), we can't afford to leave the laptop at home, because the reminders are not updated, and we lose track of the amount of money that we really have at our disposal. And if we travel separately, we can only synchronise our expenses if one of us has taken the laptop. If MD had a cloud service capable of opening the data file (provided it is accessible, e.g. in dropbox), actualising the reminders, and performing sync, we could leave this heavy thing at home, which would make our trip much more confortable.

3. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 04:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac