Transaction Report--How to Create

Barby

20 Feb, 2019 10:45 PM

I want to see all the transactions for one particular "payee." Attached is a screenshot of how I set it up. I get nothing but a blank report when I hit "generate."
Thanks for your help.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 20 Feb, 2019 11:04 PM

Hi Barby,

Your screenshot was not included with your post. :(

Try either the Transactions Filter report or Advanced Search under the MD 'Edit' menu.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by Barby on 21 Feb, 2019 01:11 AM

Let me try to attach again. I appreciate your help!

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 21 Feb, 2019 02:05 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Do you have a tag called "Emerging Markets Web Design"? A tag is a separate field it has nothing to do with the Description or Memo fields or their contents. You are also only look for transaction that has a tag that meets this criteria in an Account or Category called "Office"

4. 4 Posted by Barby on 21 Feb, 2019 02:44 AM

I guess what I'm really trying to do is list all the transactions that have the same description. I'm still learning the MoneyDance lingo, as I used Quicken for 30 years! Quicken would call the person to whom you made payment the "payee." I guess MoneyDance calls that a "description"?

I want a list of all the payments made to a certain "description (payee) in 2018.

Thanks again for your patience as I learn!

5. 5 Posted by -Kevin N. on 21 Feb, 2019 03:40 AM

HI Barby,

Try the Transactions Filter report.
    Click the 'Edit' button to set the parameters.
    Click the 'Reset' button in the lower, left-hand corner.
    Set the 'Date' parameter to 'Last Year'.
    Type in the 'Payee' name into the 'Description' field.
    That should do it.
    You can play around with the other parameters if you like.

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 21 Feb, 2019 04:02 AM

Ahh Quicken that has given me some context of where you re coming from, there are a lot of Quicken escapees here.

The field you know of as Payee in Quicken is called Description in Moneydance. As depending on the nature of the transaction means that this field could be Payee/Payer/Transfer to/Transfer From I guess they went for a more general heading.

Reporting on data based on a value in the Description is a bit more limited. The one I am thinking of that would most likely be used is the Transaction Filter report.

For more Add hoc type of work and reporting you may find the Find and Replace extension of benefit (installed under the Extension --> Manage Extension menu item)

Depending on your reporting requirements you may want to consider some changes, for example some extra custom categories. For example I receive interest from a number of investments so I have set up a subcategory for each so that sub totals are automatically created or you may indeed want to use Tags (Classes from Quicken if I recall correctly) The Find and Replace extension can help to set or change Categories/tags on existing transactions.

7. 7 Posted by Barby on 21 Feb, 2019 02:40 PM

Wow. I feel so lost here as to the big picture. I have been trying the suggestions posted here, but I don't seem to have the same options.

All I want is a list of every Medical expense I have entered for the year--in several accounts (like various credit card accounts, checking, etc.). The Transaction Filter option wants me to pick just one account,.

For instance, on Kevin's recommendations above, I do not have a "last year" option for dates. I set them manually as custom dates, but it still showed no transactions. And I had no place for entering the description field either.

Cannot seem to figure this. Sorry! Any step by step help would be great. Take it from the top. What do I click on first--Reports and Graphs from the Tools bar?

8. 8 Posted by Barby on 21 Feb, 2019 02:45 PM

Here is a screenshot of what I set up and what I got.

9. 9 Posted by Barby on 21 Feb, 2019 02:47 PM

Here is what I got

10. 10 Posted by Barby on 21 Feb, 2019 02:56 PM

OK--I think the problem is that the "medical" category didn't have anything in it--just the subcategories. In Quicken when you ask for a report on a main category, you automatically get all the sub categories. Thanks for helping--I need to switch paradigms from Quicken to this!

11. 11 Posted by -Kevin N. on 21 Feb, 2019 03:33 PM

Hi Barby,

My suggestion, as well as dwg's was to try the Transaction Filter report.

Your screenshots are of the Income & Expenses (Detailed) report.

The parameters of the Transaction Filter report may prove more useful to you.

12. 12 Posted by Barby on 21 Feb, 2019 03:41 PM

Yes, I tried the Transaction Filter report also but did not seem to have the same options you guys had mentioned. Maybe a different version of the program?

Thanks again for the time you have spent responding.

13. 13 Posted by -Kevin N. on 21 Feb, 2019 03:46 PM

Hi Barby,

There are no different versions of the reports that I am aware of.

Perhaps you inadvertently clicked on the 'Transactions' report instead of the 'Transactions Filter' report.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac