Syncing networked computers

John Holden

05 Feb, 2013 09:39 PM

I have 2 computers on a local network that I want to sync. I understand from other discussions that I can use drop box, but that this is not a safe method because if you have MD open on both computers the data will be corrupted. When do you think you will have the new sync feature working?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Scott Meehan on 05 Feb, 2013 11:54 PM

Hi John,

We're hoping to have Moneydance-to-Moneydance syncing completed for the 2013 release of Moneydance, however this isn't finalized yet so I can't be sure. The Dropbox file sharing method seems to work fairly well (I'm actually not aware of any cases that have come up here discussing file corruption, though that doesn't definitively prove that it hasn't happened) and if your main file were to get corrupted, there are also the checkpoint files that Moneydance could use to restore your data from your most recent backup (which should be daily). Dropbox also detects file conflicts in its own internal functioning, so corruption may not end up being the problem, but transactions not entering the main file due to a conflict from two computers trying to save at once. I do understand, however, if you'd prefer not to take the risk.

We'll be sure to notify you when Moneydance-to-Moneydance syncing is available, either way. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Scott Meehan
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by Dr. John Holden on 06 Feb, 2013 12:53 AM

Hi,

I thought I read on your site that you can't sync with drop box and use MD on both computers at the same time. Are you saying that syncing with dropbox works fine, and I can be using both computers with MD open at the same time?

3. 3 Posted by Jon Hoover on 06 Feb, 2013 12:58 AM

Hi,
    I don't believe that Scott was being clear enough. We do not recommend accessing a dropbox file simultaneously from two different computers, we can't promise data integrity. But we are working on a solution for this.
    I hope this clears it up a little.
    Please let us know if you have any more questions.
    Sincerely,
    Jon Hoover, Moneydance Support

4. 4 Posted by TJ Finlinson on 10 Jan, 2014 06:20 PM

Is this still being worked on? Because of this limitation my wife and I try to be very careful to not open the file at the same time, but it still does happen. It would be nice to see this feature in MD.

Should this discussion be moved over to the zendesk site?

5. 5 Posted by Jon Hoover on 11 Jan, 2014 07:37 PM

Hi TJ,
    This feature is still in our development plan, but I don't have a time frame on implementation, sorry.
    Sincerely,
    Jon Hoover, Moneydance Support

6. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:56 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac