quote updating

Jim L

13 Jan, 2019 09:40 PM

I find it very strange that a financial management product such as MoneyDance does not include the capability to automatically download the current security prices.

I know that there is an extension, but any type of 3rd party extension will always create a problem for the user. Either with mis-matched versions or some error with the user configuration.

I would very much suggest and hope that the developers at IK would consider in the near future, consider adding that functionality into the core product.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 13 Jan, 2019 09:52 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The Quotes and Exchange Rate extension is maintained by the Moneydance developers. So it is about as official as it gets.

This is the approach they have decided to take with this functionality. It allows for those who don't have investments to not have it installed and it also allows for changes to be made outside the main program, for example IEX trading for securities and European Central Bank for rates were added in recent times, without the need to issue a Moneydance update.

2. 2 Posted by Jim Largent on 13 Jan, 2019 10:05 PM

Oh, I didn't realize it was maintained by MD developers. I'm still
    changing over from Quicken and it was always a part of that process and
    expected that prices would update when the accounts were updated. Having
    to install an extension just seemed like it was an after thought. Maybe
    having an option to install it during the MD install would make it clear
    about it being a core function, but optional.
    Thanks

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Jan, 2019 10:14 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I take the view that the ability to add extensions greatly enhances Moneydance. As dwg implies a number of vary valuable extension are supported by IK and the ability to load only the ones you want to use enables you to tailor Moneydance to your needs. Also, IK’s decision to encourage third-party extensions broaden what Moneydance can achieve. Extension created by other developers, most of them for free, such a Quote Loader, further enhance the product capabilities.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

23 Mar, 2019 02:31 PM
23 Mar, 2019 01:45 PM
23 Mar, 2019 11:36 AM