General questions about Moneydance

Sam Morris

07 Jan, 2019 07:12 PM

Hi,
Money dance has been recommended to me by a friend. Before I download the trial I'd like to ask a few question.
Im interested in using MD for my and my wife's personal finances. We currently have an excel spreadsheet with her monthly and annual outgoings on one tab, mine on another and our joint account and mortgage on a third tab. I'd like to know if MD can handle working with information for 2 people who have shared bills, outgoings and savings. Would we both need to download MD and fill in information separately or both put our info in on one copy.
Also where can I find out what financial institutions MD's automatic transaction download can link to?
Thanks
Sam

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Jan, 2019 08:05 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

You can install Moneydance on two or more computers and sync your data between the computers.
    Enter a transaction on one computer and it will appear on the other computer.
    See http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data
    If you want to keep some account private you would need to set up a new data set on your computer same copy of Moneydance and don’t sync that data set. It a simple matter to switch between data sets. But account data cannot be shared between data sets.
    For bank downloads See http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/online-banking-and-bill-pay

Hope this helps

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ethan on 08 Jan, 2019 05:01 PM

Hello Sam,

Just to add to the above comment, it sounds to me like if you're already using a shared spreadsheet, having both of your data in the same Moneydance data file should work fine for your situation. A single data file can contain an unlimited number of accounts and income/expense categories. This should allow you to do things like set up joint accounts, and still have your personal accounts.

I also recommend just downloading the trial version, and let us know if you have any trouble with setting things up.

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac