Can I import my Backup from my Mac to Linux?

BillHerschel

24 Oct, 2018 02:55 PM

In general, if I want to switch to the Linux version, how do a transfer my data over to the Linux version from my Mac?

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by davclrk on 05 Dec, 2018 10:08 PM

Hello JCF,

I have directly asked IK what purpose the TXN files serve and they have never responded. One user told me they are related to the downloaded transactions. Another several users told me that activating the Sync function will cause MD to delete all those TXN files automatically. I attempted that but discovered that once activated, Sync will write a LARGE mess of entries to your error log every time you run MD. Deactivating Sync won’t stop the mess of entries either. MD will seemingly forever make those entries which I suspect delays open the program. The only way to go back from Sync is to restore a backup before you activated Sync.

Now, to directly answer your question. OPEN and CLOSE MD twice (2x) without making any changes to anything. Now you may safely delete ALL the TXN files. If your OPEN and CLOSE MD again, go check out the size of the automatic BACKUP file that everyone would be wise to have activated. You should notice a substantial size decrease in your backups at this point. Of course, moving forward, they will continue to grow, so if you follow this procedure about once a month, it should keep everything tidy. I once made a download of transactions, processed them and then exited MD. I then deleted the TXN files and opened MD again. All those new transactions I had just downloaded and processed were not there. But, opening and closing MD twice in a row seems to safely write and store ALL the data without problem and ALL the TXNs can be deleted at that point. I have checked repeatedly, and following this procedure has NOT caused any loss of my data. I am very careful to maintain my data since it began in the 90’s.

Hey, from what I have read about the 2019 release, IK is apparently going to do something about how MD handles and maintains the TXN data and the Data Set. I do hope they make it more efficient and less cumbersome.

DC

2. 32 Posted by davclrk on 05 Dec, 2018 10:16 PM

Yeah, DON’T USE SYNC. You should see what Sync permanently does to your error log. It writes a mess of entries forever, even after you disable Sync. The only way to go back is to restore a Backup before Sync was activated.

Opening and Closing MD twice (2x) in a row will prevent data loss from latest and all transactions. As I have stated in previous postings, MD was taking many minutes to start-up and many more minutes to shut-down all due to those TXN files. Before I deleted them the 1st time, I had over 19,000 TXN files !!!. For me, the TXN files are an utter waste of space and a considerable annoyance. Maybe someone should write a Python script that will automatically open and close MD twice in a row and then delete all the TXN files. Now that would be handy. Have fun all!

DC

3. 33 Posted by davclrk on 05 Dec, 2018 10:19 PM

Bad idea. This will cause a permanent writing of a LOT of entries to the error log which will also slow it down a bit. My method is cleaner and certainly more efficient in terms of entries to the error log. Peace.

TexasDave

4. 34 Posted by -Kevin N. on 05 Dec, 2018 10:28 PM

Hi davclrk,

Here's a link to a thread wherin MD support staffer Ben Spencer explains TXN files.
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/general-questions/18790-tx...

BTW, it has been my experience that the error log is cleared upon every MD restart.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

5. 35 Posted by davclrk on 05 Dec, 2018 11:19 PM

Hello Kevin,

The error log is cleared upon every MD restart. Activating SYNC just one time, however, will cause MD to always and forever write a large mess of entries. The only way to reverse this situation is to restore a backup from before Sync was activated the very first time. I am going to guess that you were not aware of this behavior. My error log is quite small since my Data Set has never been exposed to having Sync activated. Go non-Syncers! Peace.

TexasDave

6. 36 Posted by -Kevin N. on 06 Dec, 2018 12:13 AM

Hi TexasDave,

I'm not sure that I share your concerns of writing to the errlog file. I doubt that any modern-day computer would be even the slightest bit hampered writing to the errlog file.

The computations carried out look mostly to be either reading or writing small data files. Uploading or downloading small data files. There looks to be some status checking and the standard other stuff.

My data file contains transaction dating back to 1985 and weighs in at just over 50 MB. Nothing extravagant there.

I'm quite satisfied with the operation of the sync engine. I keep two laptops synced to my desktop. Opening & closing times and functionality are all quick.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

7. 37 Posted by davclrk on 06 Dec, 2018 02:43 AM

Sounds like Sync envy. My error log is Smaller than yours. Go non-Syncers!

8. 38 Posted by derekkent23 on 06 Dec, 2018 09:44 AM

I am not support staff just a user.

A bit of history. The operating system on my computers is Windows. I started using MD 2015 back in August 2015, importing hundreds of accounts, mostly closed, dating back to 2000 from MS Money. I first used syncing on an early build of 2017 back in October 2016 and hit a major corruption. After a telephone call and a screen sharing session with Sean, he fixed my data set and released a new build to prevent it happening again. Since then I have continued to use syncing without any major issues. My backup file size is 11.9MB. My errlog.txt file has 45 lines 8 of which are initialized extension. So, my experience is akin to Kevin N. My errlog.txt file shows no issues. My syncing between two windows computers and an Android phase is not giving me problems.
    I know this is not every one’s experience and different users try different workarounds, some successfully, some with bad outcomes. I think blaming syncing by itself may be misleading, if a data set problem exists it may make it worse but I am not sure it’s the course or more users would be having problems, including me.

9. 39 Posted by davclrk on 06 Dec, 2018 11:04 AM

Hmmm, Sync envy is alive and well and all in good fun, of course. I will continue Sync-free and deleting my TXNs every couple of weeks. Peace.

TexasDave

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac