In Windows 10, are there any files with a .moneydance file extension?

William B

11 Oct, 2018 06:36 PM

I'm having a hard time with Windows 10 file search so I could be missing something, but when I search for .moneydance, I don't find any files with that extension, just directories. Is there really no .moneydance file, in the sense that Word has .docx files? If that's correct, where's the data, and is there any way to back it up like you would Word files? And if the data is dispersed somewhere, why was MD designed that way? If I knew, maybe it would help me get my head around the file management problems I'm having.

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 11 Oct, 2018 09:21 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Moneydance is not like Word, Excel etc where all data is contained in a single file. It has not been like that for quite some time for a variety of reasons.

Where you have a directory with a .moneydance extension it indicates that all files underneath this directory and those in further sub-directories contain your moneydance data, so you data comprises a whole bundle of directories and files.

There are multiple reasons for employing the structure that Moneydance does.

Firstly since the 2014 version Moneydance allows you to attach things like receipts to transactions, these could be image files, PDFs etc. To include these in a single file could cause enormous bloat and lead to various problems, so they are stored in a sub-directory with a link in the data to the file. FWIW Moneydance did store all data in a single file in MD2014

Moneydance 2014 and earlier also allowed creation of a type of automatic backups, by default these are stored in another sub-directory. the same method exists in MD2017 today.

Moneydance 2015 saw a change in file structures, with a trunk file and incremental updates in small transactions files. This change was to facilitate the system to system syncing function that is in Moneydance 2017. Passing new and updated data in small files is far more efficient and quicker than typing to sync a single large file.

The structure is therefore the way it is to facilitate the data it holds, the way it is held and the features the software provides.

To back up your data you backup the .monyedance directory and all files underneath it, an alternative is to use the automatic or manual functions to create a single Moneydance archive file and to back this file up, either in the default location or a location you choose, the choice is yours.

2. 2 Posted by -Kevin N. on 11 Oct, 2018 09:46 PM

Hi William,

The easiest way to locate your Moneydance data file(s) is from within Moneydance.

Open Moneydance.
    From the menu bar, go to Help > Show Documents Folder.
    A file browser will open to the default location for Moneydance data files. It's a good idea to know and understand this location.
    The data file(s) there will be in the following format
    filename.moneydance

If you want to move your data file to a more convenient location. e.g. your Documents folder, then look to this Moneydance KB article:
    http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/moving-f...

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

3. 3 Posted by William B on 12 Oct, 2018 08:44 AM

Thanks for the excellent information. Much appreciated.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac