Splitting the data file

Coastalguy

10 Aug, 2018 10:17 PM

To update my data, whether from my laptop or desktop, I have copied the data file to a central network drive, accessed through wifi. Because wifi is somewhat slower, and also because my transactions now encompass over 6 years, loading the data now takes some time. I was wondering if it was possible to split the data file into segments (years), that I can independently access through the application? When I used to use Quicken, it provided an annual split so that each year became a separate file, and only the current year had to be loaded. Thanks,

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 10 Aug, 2018 11:03 PM

I'm a fellow user.

While it would be straightforward enough to split banking type data into years with a simple adjustment in the initial balance to keep the balances correct, the real problem comes if you also have Investment data and especially shares where you are likely to require the entire history in order the maintain the integrity of the data - there is no real ability to consolidate historical data as the lot information is usually required to effective manage capital gains type calculations. The need to preserve this data, often leads to problems in bank accounts as the funds to buy shares will often be drawn from these types of accounts thus leading to an interdependence between accounts.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 11 Aug, 2018 05:37 AM

Oops I didn't spell it out that there is no capability to split the data file.

3. 3 Posted by Coastalguy on 11 Aug, 2018 02:47 PM

Thanks, I didn't think so.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac