Adding decimal places to a security

brad.mcneely

06 Aug, 2018 09:17 PM

I created a security a couple of years ago and specified 4 decimal places. I've transferred my account to a new firm and the new firm sends statements that go out 5 or 6 places. From my reading I understand that you can't edit the number of decimal places and instead you need to create a new security and switch the investment to use that security. I tried that and here's what happened.
1. Original security has 4 decimal places
2. New security has 6 decimal places
3. In the investment register I added the new security
4. When I changed my existing transactions from the old security to the new security, the additional zeros where added just after the decimal instead of at the end. For example, if a value was 0.4085 with the original security it became 0.004085 with the new security.

Am I misunderstanding the implementation of this or missing something in the process? Basically I want to have a new security that goes to 6 decimal places for new transactions and have existing transaction have trailing zeros added. Any other process that achieves this is fine. Just trying to implement the way I understood the process I read on other posts about adding decimals.

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by brad.mcneely on 06 Aug, 2018 09:19 PM

I forgot to add that I'm running Moneydance 2017.8 (1691) on OS X.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac