Wrong auto catagory assignment

Greg

12 Jul, 2018 04:41 PM

This is my second try at this. I received an answer but just talk no solution.
My program assigns the wrong category as it auto assigns when I balance my account. How do you change the auto assign to another category.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Sean Reilly on 15 Jul, 2018 03:47 PM

Hi Greg,
    Those category suggestions are based purely on past transactions that have similar descriptions in the downloaded transaction. Does the original transaction description have a unique value? You can see the original transaction description in the "as downloaded" area at the top of the confirmation panel. If the "as downloaded" info isn't displayed then the original description hasn't been changed.

If you filter the register using the name of the incorrectly suggested category then you might be able to find out which transaction(s) are triggering the suggestion. To see the original downloaded description for any transactions in the filtered register, hold the alt (or option) key while moving the mouse over the transactions. Hopefully this will let you see which transaction has an original downloaded description that is similar to the one being confirmed.

Moneydance uses a fuzzy matching algorithm to find transactions with similar downloaded descriptions, so the description doesn't need to be identical, but if it has a similar prefix or suffix then it could be matching.

Thanks,

Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    http://infinitekind.com

2. System closed this discussion on 14 Oct, 2018 03:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac