cost basis not matching up?

exigent

05 Jul, 2018 03:49 PM

Hey all, this has been driving me crazy. I have a money market mutual fund in one account that has always traded at a stable $1/share value. Thus, the cost basis of this holding should exactly match the current value, but it doesn't... It's off by $0.02 and I can't find the discrepancy anywhere.

The main thing that I've done to troubleshoot this has been to open up the Securities Detail page and scroll through the entire list of transactions. I was hoping to find a typo where I'd entered an amount that doesn't equal the number of shares transacted. No luck... In every case, the number of shares and the amount match each other perfectly, as they should since it's *always* $1/share.

I also went into the Register and searched for the security name and checked every single transaction. As above, the numebr of shares transacted *always* matched the dollar value of the transaction, so it seems that the cost basis and value should match up perfectly. And yet they don't... The cost basis is $0.02 low...

So now I'm stuck hunting for a $0.02 discrepancy *somewhere* in this account's history, but I really don't know where else to look. This is driving me nuts, so I was hoping that someone might have a suggestion.

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Sean Reilly on 05 Jul, 2018 09:15 PM

Hello,

Can you let me know which build of Moneydance you are using from the "About Moneydance" window? Also, are you seeing the discrepancy in the Capital Gains report, the portfolio panel for the investment account, or on the security detail panel?

I've recently re-implemented the capital gains calculation code that is used in the report, and those changes are in the current preview build at https://infinitekind.com/preview

They still need a bit of work to take into account fees on buys and expense transactions, but I'm in that code now so it'd be great to find out the details of this problem.

Thanks,

Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    http://infinitekind.com

2. 2 Posted by exigent on 05 Jul, 2018 10:03 PM

Hi. I have seen this behavior on (at least) 2017.7.1, 2017.7.3, and on 2017.8 (1686). Fwiw, I'm running this on MacOS X Sierra (10.2.6).

I see the discrepancy in the Portfolio View and in the Securities Detail panel. When I view a Capital Gains Report (in 2017.8 [1686]), the "Gains" column reports $0.00 for every single transaction, as it should.

3. 3 Posted by exigent on 05 Jul, 2018 10:10 PM

Not sure if this is relevant, but when I attempt to generate a "Cost Basis" report using the "By Security" option, this security is in the list but greyed out so I can't select it. Not sure why.

4. 4 Posted by exigent on 05 Jul, 2018 10:19 PM

Okay, I was able to generate the Cost Basis report for the entire account even though I wasn't able to do it by security. I then saved the report, opened it in an external editor, and moved all of the transactions from the report output into Excel. From there, I confirmed that all transactions match up as they should.

The dollar value is *always* equal to the share number for every transaction. Thus, there should be no way for the cost basis and the total value to have diverged. I have also double-checked the price history. It is *never* different from $1.00/share.

So, based on all of the above, I don't think it's a problem with my data. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I just can't find anything on my end that would explain this behavior.

Thanks again for following up on this.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac