Alphavantage downloads

kirbyschrader

19 Jun, 2018 10:29 PM

I constantly get many errors when updating using Alphavantage.

Last check was 179 skipped, 67 errors and 79 updated.

This doesn't seem normal.

Please advise.
Thanks,
Kirby

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Jun, 2018 10:51 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Hi Kirby

Problems like this can be frustrating and time consuming. Lots of users are having the same problem with Alpha Vantage.

There is a free alternative that does not suffer from these issues and thus is a lost faster. It a stand-alone program that was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The developer is actively supporting this software and has adapted it to work with Moneydance. This current build very stable and the quotes very consistent. Two sources are available, not Alpha Vantage. No strange prices. It has a lot of useful features. These include obtaining quote for stocks & funds, from many stock exchanges US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. Provide a means for importing all this data into Moneydance. You can also import exchange rates along with your security prices. The program is in java, like Moneydance and thus runs on Windows, Mac and Linux computers.

Take a look at his thread and download the PDF outlining how to use the program and link to download the program. Post 190 in this thread. http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

Let me know how you get on and if you have any questions.

Hope this helps

2. 2 Posted by kirbyschrader on 19 Jun, 2018 11:11 PM

I downloaded Have and the program and if I enter a stock, for example AAPL, it gets the price, no problem.

I don’t understand though how to tie it to my online investment accounts.
    For example, my Fidelity account has many stocks and funds.

How do I somehow export/import that data?

Thanks for the help.
    Kirby

3. 3 Posted by kirbyschrader on 19 Jun, 2018 11:24 PM

Further to this….
    I selected and copied the stocks glance, pasted it into Numbers (I use a Mac), selected the first column, pasted it into the Java program and, with a little editing, ended up with all the quotes for the stocks I have.

Now what?

If I export to OFX, then it wants to import them into an account.

Thanks,
    Kirby

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 20 Jun, 2018 09:10 AM

Hi Kirby

Before you start do a FILE – EXPORT BACKUP in Moneydance.

Read the PDF attached to post 190 at http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

From your post it appears you have managed to run the hleofxquotes program and can see prices for the quote you want to import into Moneydance listed in the “Converted Prices” tab. If this is not the case post again.

The next step in the process is to import these quotes into Moneydance so that all your security prices are updated in their associated Security Price History windows.
    Now carefully read page 3 of the PDF from the heading “There are three methods of entering data into Moneydance”.

Decide which import method you want to use, Mikes Security Price Loader or Security History Loader extension. Don’t attempt to use the QIF File Method. Also pay particular attention to the information highlighted in the blue box, starting “For import to work...”.

Move on to page 4 of the PDF and follow the instruction under the heading ““Security Price Loader/Security History Loader” Method”. When you complete the steps under this heading all your quotes will have been imported.

Don’t try to use OFX, it’s not intended for Moneydance users!

If you encounter any problems please post.

Hope this helps.

5. 5 Posted by kirbyschrader on 21 Jun, 2018 12:28 AM

That helped a lot!
    Everything seems to work now.

My only problem is, my list of stocks gleaned from the 4 investment accounts don’t all show up with any data.
    Some are zero.

I’ll wade through them and see if there are any issues with the name or whatever.

Thanks for your help!

Kirby

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 21 Jun, 2018 08:02 AM

Hi Kirby

One of the biggest problems is finding the correct symbol for your securities. Each source often require a different symbol, some need a extension to define the exchange the security the is traded on, other don't. The exchange symbol can also change from source to source.

On page 2 of the PDF in the green box read the section starting "The biggest problem.." and use the links provided.

Alternatively In the "Symbols" window right click and use FILE - SAVE AS to save a text file of the symbols you have entered into the symbol windows.
    Then attach this file to a new post in your thread at
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/general-questions/63166-al...

and I will see if I can find the correct symbols.

In any event let me know how you get on.

Hope this help.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac