How to Print an account's transactions register (CHECKING) to fit into bank's checkbook cover?

rm2426

14 May, 2018 04:27 PM

I am on a MacBook-Pro using Moneydance 2015 v2015.8 (1372)....Questions - Print a check register?
1. How to print on plain paper 8.5 x11account transactions report (checking account)?
...The file/print transactions always wants to print in Landscape mode with no way to change to 8.5x11 format?
2. How to print a 6x6-inch Account Transaction Register (checking) to fit into the bank's checkbook cover?
SOOOO...
What fonts and size to use to format printed account transactions (checking account), to fit on a 6x6-inch page with headings at top of each page and 2-lines for each transaction? For Example..See PDF of a 6x6-nch blank register attached......
=====================================================================
Headings= Date. Item# Payee Category $Pymt FEE../ $Balance
                   Memo $Deposit
=====================================================================
Line 1 =
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Line 2 =
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More 2-lines to fill 6-inch square page to fit in a 6x6 checkbook cover when printed on plain paper (8.5x11).
I know I would have to trim. each page to the 6x6-inch square, which would be easier the re-writing all transactions by hand in a register.
=======================
=======================
A PDF of a blank register is attached as a reference for a 6x6-inch page.

Has anyone succeeded in doing this? If so would appreciate details as to steps taken and any settings, fonts, etc to accomplish this task.

Thanks for any help or advice.

rm2426

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 14 May, 2018 04:51 PM

Hi rm2426,

1. Use the 'Transactions' report. When setting the parameters, un-check the 'Print in Landscape' option.

2. Again, use the 'Transactions' report.

Click 'Print' and use your printer driver to sort out the gory details of sizing the print to custom fit a 6x6 page.

Another option is to Copy & Paste the report to a spreadsheet, arrange the data in the desired order and print the results from within the spreadsheet.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by rm2426 on 15 May, 2018 09:39 AM

Kevin N….Thanks for reply.

1. I missed the print landscape option - had to scroll page down to see it to print portrait report.…thanks.

2. I do not have Excel, but have Apple’s Numbers spreadsheet program. I generated the MD Account Transactions Report and copied it, then opened Numbers with a blank spreadsheet but the “PASTE” option in Numbers was not active for use, so I could not paste the Account’s “Transactions Report” into a blank NUMBERS worksheet. The paste does not work in Numbers in this manner?

I looked for an export/import option for a PDF file but no luck there either?

So how do I get a “REPORT” whether a PDF file or MD-Report into Apple”s Number worksheet program?

Thanks for any help.
    Rm2426

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 15 May, 2018 12:32 PM

Hi Rm2426,

Can you confirm that you used the 'Copy to Clipboard' option in the MD report to Copy the report's data?

If so, and it still did not allow you to Paste the data into Numbers then try this...

Generate the desired report.
    Instead of 'Print', use the 'Save' option in the report. Save the report as an HTML file. (be sure to retain the .html file extension when naming the report file.)
    You should then be able to open the HTML report file in Numbers.

Alternately, you can save the report as a CSV file. (again, make sure to retain the .csv file extension when naming the report.)

You should also be able to open the CSV report file in Numbers.

4. 4 Posted by rm2426 on 16 May, 2018 08:53 PM

MacBook-Pro using High Sierra latest version...
    Thanks Keven - none of your suggestions worked and there is no "copy to clipboard", only COPY at bottom of page & no a pop-up from SAVE?

STEPS.... I went to Tools/Reports Graphs/Transactions, and selected a checking account and generated a report for the current year.... Tried to save Transaction Report as HTML but nothing saved-looked where archive files located & all other folders-not there? Even tried to type HTML as an extension at end of file name.

Was able to save a CVS file (typed .CVS at end of file name) and was in the MD ARCHIVE FILE FOLDER, but "NUMBERS PROGRAM" did not recognize the file to open it?
     "Numbers Program" (version 5.0.1 (5579)...

What am I missing or doing wrong? Should be easier than this?
    Thanks for the help.
    rm2426

5. 5 Posted by -Kevin N. on 16 May, 2018 11:06 PM

Hi rm2426,

Access the 'Transaction' report from the left side bar. If the 'Transaction' Report is not visible on the left side bar, click the (+) plus sign directly below the left side bar to add Reports to the left side bar.

The report window will have 'Save' and 'Copy to Clipboard' buttons among others. (see screenshot)

When saving the report, save it to your desktop or documents folder and make sure to retain the relevant file extension when naming the report. e.g. .csv or .html

6. 6 Posted by rm2426 on 17 May, 2018 12:48 AM

Thanks for reply but none what you say can I reproduce, nor can I follow what you suggest? My MD2015 for MacBook version using High Sierra must be a lot different than what you are using?

There is no side bar when Report is shown and no "+" ????
    Really confused....

What STEPS are you taking after opening the MD2015 File on a MAC Computer-High Sierra?

I opened the MD2015 file, selected TOOLS/REPORTS & GRAPHS/TRANSACTIONS Edited the format-to select a checking account dates, etc, then generated the report.
    There is no side bar with RPOORT Showing....at bottom of page is...
    Print - Save - Memorize - Copy - Print Landscape......................Done

I memorized report with name but the PROGRAM will not let me scroll down that far in "MEMORIZED REPORTS" since I must have too many Reports memorized (more than one page of REPORTS)?

I have tried to REMOVE older MEMORIZED REPORTS but still too many?
    Is there a limit as to # memorized?
    Anyway , still not able to get report into NUMBERS. I tried right clicking on "xx,csv" file saved to open with NUMBERS but NUMBERS will not recognize the file? No luck in saving Report to an ".HTML" file.

Thanks, rm2426

7. 7 Posted by rm2426 on 17 May, 2018 01:41 AM

Thanks Kevin, I finally figured out what you were saying. The sidebar is too narrow & cannot be expanded for long REPORT NAMES?
    Finally figured not going to TOOLS but to see the LISTING of REPORTS in SIDEBAR below the list of Accounts. Then I saw the CLIPBOARD, SAVE, etc at the TOP in faded blue and was able to save as "xx.CSV" file and then right clicked on file name to open with NUMBERS and the REPORT was imported in a NUMBERS worksheet. So now I'll try to figure other editing & setting tp print in 6x6 square thatI want

Sorry for all the confusion but got lost in your directions without specific steps you took to get the result, or where in the PROGRAM you wanted me to be? I do not know enough about the MD Program and all its options to customize REPORTS, etc.

Thanks again for help.
    rm2426

8. 8 Posted by -Kevin N. on 17 May, 2018 02:10 AM

Hi rm2426,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get this sorted.

FYI, you can widen the left side bar. Look for vertical lines in the lower margin of the Moneydance window (directly under the left side bar) Grab it and drag it to the right.

9. 9 Posted by rm2426 on 18 May, 2018 03:09 PM

Hey Kevin,
    I tried to widen the side bar to no avail.
    I have Moneydance/Preferences/Font size set as "DEFAULT"

I can widen other columns using the right side line for other columns (Date-Check-Descrption ,etc.)
    I even tried widening the other columns and then going back to side bar to widen-that did not work.

Maybe I am at the maximum width now, of 19 characters?

My sidebar widest descriptions are 19 characters, for example.....
    Investment Trana...
    Transfers, Detailed

Can you widen your MD2015 sidebar on your Mac-High Sierra?

Thanks - rm2426

10. 10 Posted by -Kevin N. on 18 May, 2018 05:11 PM

Hi rm2426,

I'm operating under a Windows environment. I don't currently have a copy of MD 2015 installed. I have a copy of MD 2011, MD 2012 and MD 2017 installed on separate machines.

Each of those installations allows the left side bar to be widened to approximately 3/4 of the width of the monitor.

I've attached a screenshot of MD 2011 with the side bar extended to roughly half of the screen. Look for the grab bar to help with extending the side bar.

You may also be able to widen the side bar by grabbing the dividing line of the sidebar with your cursor. Look for the cursor to change to a double-facing arrow which indicates that you can then drag the dividing line so as to make the side bar wider.

11. 11 Posted by rm2426 on 18 May, 2018 11:22 PM

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 18, 2018, at 12:11 PM, -Kevin N. <[email blocked]> wrote:
    > Tried that and more.. side bar can't be made wider. Can move the outside lie for full window, the columns for date,ck#, all but the side bar...
    Thanks for helping.
    rm2426

12. System closed this discussion on 17 Aug, 2018 11:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac