Setting Up Moneydance on MAC

Simon Donlevy

29 Apr, 2018 11:52 AM

Hi,

I have moneydance working fine on a Windows PC, syncing via dropbox folder. I have installed Moneydance on my Macbook but when I go to try to open a synced file (and select Dropbox folder) my file does not come up. It syncs perfectly across Windows and iPhone. The .moneydance folder is selected to sync with dropbox though does not show in Finder.

Any help appreciated

Simon

1. 1 Posted by Simon Donlevy on 29 Apr, 2018 11:53 AM

PS I can restore my file from backup but then it does not allow me to sync and no option to change this (greyed out)

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 29 Apr, 2018 04:42 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Assuming you are using 2017.7.1(1671) or above, see under HELP - ABOUT MONEYDANCE.

What syncing method are you using?

When you try to sync to your MacBook are you clicking on FILE - NEW - OPEN SYNCED FILE?

3. 3 Posted by s.kdonlevy on 01 May, 2018 08:03 AM

Yes, that is correct for the version. The PC version is syncing under “Dropbox Connection” (and I cannot change this option either). It syncs perfectly with iOS (x3) but when I to file – new – open synced file and choose either “Dropbox Folder” or “Dropbox Connection” the correct file is not displayed

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 May, 2018 09:11 AM

Were you syncing to another computer at some point?

If so, was the other computer the one you first set up using FILE – SYNCING on, thus making it your primary computer. Your windows computer would then have been set up under FILE – NEW -OPEN SYNCED FILE? This would account for the fact that syncing method is greyed out on your windows computer. This is normal for a second computer.

Or did you have a shared backup location were the backups from each computer would overwrite each other and then restored your windows PC from the wrong backup.

The fact that syncing method on your windows PC is greyed out suggest on of the above.

If either is the case it looks like you will have to convert your windows data set from a secondary data set to a primary data set and reset syncing.

Post which fit your case and I will post a procedure for you to follow.

Hope this helps.

5. 5 Posted by Simon and Keryn... on 01 May, 2018 11:14 AM

That may explain things. I had a new computer so installed MoneyDance and set up the file using file-new-open synced file then promptly stopped using the primary computer. A procedure would be most appreciated - many thanks for your help.

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 May, 2018 03:46 PM

Follow the procedure below to turn the secondary data set on your windows computer into a primary data set. If you want to make your MacBook your primary computer move your data set to that. In either case you can start the syncing process from scratch.

Use the Moneydance APP on your iPhone to disconnect syncing.

Make sure all computers have the latest build from https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software.

I would first rename your Dropbox folder “.moneydancesync” and move it to the hard drive of one of your computers. It can be deleted once things are working again.

Support have provided a file called "md2017_convert_secondary_to_master.py" that should convert your secondary data set, see attached. Before proceeding, please back up your Moneydance data set, just in case something goes wrong. You can create a manual backup using the FILE -EXPORT BACKUP.
    To use the .py file, first save it to your computer, somewhere you can easily access it like your downloads folder or your desktop. Then follow these steps:

1. In Moneydance, select Window --> Python Scripting.
    2. In the window that opens, select 'Open Script' then navigate to the .py file wherever you saved it on your system.
    3. Select 'Run' to execute the file.
    4. Wait a few moments until you see a message on screen, confirming the script has run successfully.
    5. Close and reopen Moneydance.

Click FILE - SYNCING, and you should now be able to select the required sync method.

Your new data set is located under HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER a file finder should open. If you want to move this primary data set to the other computer close Moneydance and move the data set to your new computer. Your data set has the naming convention yourdatasetname.moneydance and it not a file but a folder containing other files and folders. Don’t get it mixed up with any other data sets at the same location. You can rename the new data set folder before you move it.

Then start syncing with your primary computer in the normal way.

Hope this helps

7. 7 Posted by s.kdonlevy on 03 May, 2018 09:46 AM

Thank you very much for help, that worked perfectly and everything is working as it should

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

20 May, 2018 03:52 AM
20 May, 2018 01:58 AM
20 May, 2018 01:13 AM