Network Syncing

Royston Tay

05 Nov, 2012 12:38 AM

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of MoneyDance on my Mac.

In the past version, I copied my data file into my dropbox so that I can update the file on my Mac or PC (at home and in the office). However in the new version, I don't seem to be able to just open the existing file without it being deleted. I noticed that a new function is available to do synchronization with Dropbox. Can I confirm, before I delete the file, that this will allow the data to be shared with my multiple PCs?

Cheers!

Royston Tay

1. 1 Posted by james f on 05 Nov, 2012 03:37 AM

Sync between two or more computers via Dropbox does not work with the latest releases of Moneydance. Moneydance currently does not allow for the data file to reside outside of a pre-determined folder location.

There was such a backlash about this that the developers of Moneydance are currently working to restore our ability to have the data file folder any where we choose, inculding in our Dropbox folder to share between computers again.

That said, there is a FAQ with a workaround. It requires the use of Moneydance 2012 for OSX 10.5 and older for those that use Moneydance on a Mac. The FAQ can be found at:
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/suggestions/2168-faq-money...

2. 2 Posted by richmobile on 18 Jan, 2013 07:08 AM

I had a similar concern, can't access the FAQ, it's "awaiting Moderation..."

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 18 Jan, 2013 02:33 PM

With the newest version of Moneydance 2012 available directly from our website at http://infinitekind.com/downloads , you can move your data file to a custom location. Please see http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/moneydance-2012/how-to-move-your-da... for detailed instructions.

Ethan Tupelo
    Moneydance Support

4. Ethan closed this discussion on 18 Jan, 2013 02:33 PM.

5. richmobile re-opened this discussion on 18 Jan, 2013 03:03 PM

6. 4 Posted by richmobile on 18 Jan, 2013 03:03 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

In fact I was using your latest 2012.3 but got myself horribly tied up in replication that made it unworkable. I wrote a question on another thread about it.

Basically, using previous learning I created my account set for 2013, couldn't find the file, read the documentation, found the guidance you just suggested and rather misguidedly moved it to my Dropbox. A little time later learnt of the File/sync menu and did that too...
    Oops. It started creating duplicates and backups, all in the Dropbox folder.
    I couldn't resolve it so I deleted everything related.
    It still replicated folders in Dropbox.
    I deleted all again, including the app, rebooted, fresh download and when I opened MD2012.3 app it once again re spawned the duplicate folders in my Dropbox.

I gave up

Using 2011r2 again....

I had to delete that Dropbox account too.

Any ideas.

Richard
    +852 6433 6390

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Scott Meehan on 21 Jan, 2013 06:16 PM

Hi Richard,

That may have been a bug that was present in 2012.3 where Moneydance was recreating data set folders even though the data set had been moved. This bug has been fixed in the latest build of Moneydance, located here:

http://infinitekind.com/preview

Why did you have to delete your Dropbox account?

Scott Meehan
    Moneydance Support

8. 6 Posted by richmobile on 23 Jan, 2013 04:18 PM

> Why did you have to delete your Dropbox account?

Because no matter what I did I could not stop the re-spawning / replication of the empty data folders, and it had a name that was too close to what I wanted to use for the account set.

Richard

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Scott Meehan on 23 Jan, 2013 06:26 PM

Hi Richard,

Ok, I see. Has the new version solved the folder recreation issue?

Scott Meehan
    Moneydance Support

10. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac