How Security Pricing Works?

whitedavidp

11 Feb, 2018 03:38 PM

Hello. I am new to MD coming from Quicken and appreciate your help. To be honest, I am not sure how the price history mechanism works in Quicken. But I am running both Quicken and MD in parallel now and I am seeing a divergence (not huge but definitely there) between the pricing of securities between the 2 programs.

First off, I only just now installed the extension. But before this MD was getting some price history information. I could see it in the Securities panel details. One might think that these came from transaction history. But I see price records for dates in which there are no transactions for a given security. Could these have come from QIF imports out of Quicken?

I have installed the extension as described elsewhere here. I tried to get an API key but that page just gives me an error. No idea what or why. So I tried switching the extension to Google Finance since there seems to be no other option. When I run the update now, it chugs along and then at the bottom I see "Security price update complete with 149 skipped, 11 errors, and 11 quotes obtained". There are indeed 11 items on the list and checked. And I can see how some would fail as they are institutional CDs unlikely to find anything save from the broker in which they are held. But some, like GLD, are on exchanges. And I am not sure about my money market funds such as VMXX from Vanguard.

I just had Quicken check the price of GLD and as of 2/9/18 it says 124.77. Yahoo Finance says 124.74 as of the same date. Yet the latest price shown in MD is for 2/7/18 and is 124.79.

So I remain confused. Any clarification is appreciated. Thanks

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 Feb, 2018 04:25 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

can you confirm the build of Moneydance you are running. see under HELP - ABOUT MONEYDANCE. e.g. 217.7(1665)
    also what version of the Q & ER extension is installed see under EXTENSIONS - MANAGE EXTENSIONS. Can you describe the steps you took to get the key from Alpha Vantage and the error message you got. Also can you provide say four sample symbols and there names, one you expect to get and others your not sure about, so I can test.

The existing prices were probably transferred from Quicken.

2. 2 Posted by whitedavidp on 11 Feb, 2018 05:57 PM

Thanks so much for all your help!

I have attached a screen shot of what I keep getting trying to get an API key. As you can see, not very informative...

MD is 2017.6 (1656). I just installed it yesterday from download. The extension is showing 1012. Just installed it today.

I should be able to get updates on GLD <https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GLD?p=GLD>. After running the extension I show 124.79 on 2/7/18 in MD. The latest close was on Friday, of course, 2/9/18. Yahoo shows that it did indeed close at 124.79 on 2/7/18. This was before I started transitioning Quicken data into MD. So I guess it is possible that this information came from Quicken.

While not really needed since it is always 1.00 (or should be), VMMXX <https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VMMXX/chart?p=VMMXX> seems like it MIGHT be able to be downloaded as a quote. But Yahoo shows nothing more recent than 6/16 (of what year?) so maybe not. Again, the price history for it in MD is 1.00 on 2/7/18.

What maybe should NOT get quoted is an institutional CD. This shows a "ticker" of 02006L6E8 which I think is a CD identifier used by Vanguard. MD shows its price at 99.522 on 2/6/18. I should guess that this number was imported from Quicken but I am not sure.

Thanks again!

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 Feb, 2018 06:33 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

The message looks like an Alpha Vantage Server Problem. Hopefully they will fix it when they get back to work. You can’t really progress further with that until you get a key.

If you continue to have problems there is a stand-alone program see http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

It has two sources one did not recognised VMMXX for GLD it reported 124.77 as of 2018-2-10
    The other source reported VMMXX as 1 as of 2011-6-17.GLD 124.74 as of 2018-2-9
    Without a correct type of symbol, a Vanguard CD can’t be found.

Hope this helps

4. 4 Posted by whitedavidp on 13 Feb, 2018 02:08 PM

Since I am still not able to get an API key (have emailed their support but have heard nothing yet), I decided to look at the console and I can see information related to how the extension tries to contact Google to get quote information. For GLD it sends this web request <http://www.google.com/finance/historical?q=NYSE:GLD&startdate=Feb+5,+2018&enddate=Feb+13,+2018&output=csv>. So I decided to copy/paste this into my web browser to see what happens. This appears to trigger an issue with Google. See the attached screen shot. I have looked at the help page linked there and it seems that Google is not permitting "Sending searches from a robot, computer program, automated service, or search scraper". So I guess this simply will not work at all. Any other suggestions? Thanks

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Feb, 2018 02:22 PM

I am not support staff just a user.

Google along with Yahoo no longer work in the Q & ER extension.
    Are you still getting the screen from Alpha Vantage you got in post 2?
    The direct web address for obtaining a key is https://www.alphavantage.co/support/#api-keydid

Did you as I recommender in post 3 try the stand-alone program?
    It really does work!

Hope this helps

6. 6 Posted by whitedavidp on 13 Feb, 2018 02:35 PM

As always, thanks for your time and help!

That is the link I have been using to try and get the API key. Still no joy. Just tried once again. I did email them using the support link on that page.

I am guessing I will have to try and go the external route. It just seemed so much more convenient to use the extension.

Cheers

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Feb, 2018 06:11 PM

I am not support staff just a user.

Don't knock it to you try it.
    The initial set up takes time.
    But once set up it is fast.
    Very little difference between it and the Q & ER extension.

8. 8 Posted by whitedavidp on 13 Feb, 2018 06:39 PM

Oh I am not mocking it. I am just lazy and not yet troubled enough to make this effort. I just recently had to install another program and write a small batch file to deal with the fact that MD only writes a single backup file per day - overwriting one if it already exists. So I am just moving slowly :-) Thanks

9. 9 Posted by whitedavidp on 14 Feb, 2018 03:35 PM

Finally got my API key. No idea what was wrong but after another email to support they emailed me one. So I am good to go here using the extension. Thanks very much!

10. System closed this discussion on 16 May, 2018 03:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

20 Jun, 2018 05:31 PM
20 Jun, 2018 04:52 PM
20 Jun, 2018 04:03 PM