Why is Synced Moneydance filename is GUID

10 Jan, 2018 04:57 AM

I am using a Dropbox Shared Folder approach to access a file across 3 computers (1 mac and 2 linux GalliumOS). The original file is on the mac and I've had good success sharing the file on the first linux machine. All 3 computers have version 2017.6 installed. For some reason when I follow the steps on the 2nd linux machine to sync via Dropbox, everything seems to work but the filename is a crazy long GUID c2249a3c-7417-4e74-931b-34c232b7b63d. Why is that happening and can I do anything to get it to reflect the correct filename?

Thanks in advance for your time and support.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 10 Jan, 2018 06:35 AM

I recall this issue arising before.

For some reason Moneydance looses the human determined File Set Name and uses the underlying ID in its place. This is something the developers will have to resolve.

However, as I understand it, on the third machine you can rename the data set to match the other systems (while Moneydance is shut down of course). My understanding is that the IDs are what is used in the syncing configuration setup and as such the name that you see is not significant to it and can therefore be changed.

2. 2 Posted by eaglebeckley on 10 Jan, 2018 12:07 PM

Thanks! I renamed the file and everything is working as expected now. I wondered whether renaming was the fix but was afraid to do it without posting the question as I thought I might break the link to Dropbox. I have to say, being able to use dropbox to securely share a moneydance file across computers running different OS's is SUPER! When I read about the dropbox integration a year or two ago I was skeptical that it would work. Now that I've set it up and I've used it, I'm a believer! I thought MD was great before the dropbox integration.....now I think you guys are genius!!!!

Thanks again.
    Scott H.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac