Can not update canadian mutual funds??

pierre

09 Jan, 2018 02:23 AM

I have tried to use Alphavantage to update mu canadian mutual funds BUT

I must be entering the fund codes wrong or something. My last update was Dec 18 2017

Can anyone help?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 Jan, 2018 09:11 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Can you provide say three examples of the symbols used, plus the funds names to test.

2. 2 Posted by Pierre on 09 Jan, 2018 06:46 PM

here are three funds

AGF Global Bond Fund ser D: AGF4039 or F00000J3G5

Trimark Global Fundamental Equity: AIM1561C or F0CAN05NG1

TD Canadian Index: F0CAN05LQM

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 Jan, 2018 07:42 PM

I am not support staff just a user

In the Moneydance Q & ER extension with Toronto Stock Exchange two of the three quotes are returned

F00000J3G5 $11.41 but it seems to be AGF Global Bond Fund Series MF not Series D
    F0CAN05NG1 $28.07

There is a Third-Party Stand-Alone program that returns all three Quotes. See Screen shot.

Take a look at this Thread http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...
    In post 3 download the PDF use the link to download the program and follow the PDF to test your Canadian mutual funds and let us know how you get on.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by Pierre on 09 Jan, 2018 10:54 PM

How were you able to get the Q & ER to return a quote?
    Did I enter the code incorrectly or in the wrong place?

5. 5 Posted by Pierre on 09 Jan, 2018 11:11 PM

I am using Moneydance 2017.6 (1655).
    Is there an update missing (1656)??

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 09 Jan, 2018 11:22 PM

Pierra,

As Derek said in post #3 he has retrieved the prices using a third party tool not the Q&ER extension, he has provided a pointer to the tool.

7. 7 Posted by Pierre on 09 Jan, 2018 11:32 PM

Sorry, I must have misunderstood, when he said two of the three quotes are returned. I assumed that meant he was able to get an update using the Q&ER function.

8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Jan, 2018 10:24 AM

Hi Pierra

You did not misunderstand, 2 to the three symbols did return values as I posted.
    I was running 2017 build 1659 but it will work using build 1656 and Q & ER v1012.

However, all 3 securities were returned using the Third-Party Stand-Alone Program.

Hope this helps.

9. 9 Posted by dwg on 10 Jan, 2018 10:28 AM

Sorry I missed that paragraph in Derek's post.

10. 10 Posted by Pierre on 10 Jan, 2018 05:48 PM

How do I update to 1656 or 1659?

11. 11 Posted by Pierre on 10 Jan, 2018 05:53 PM

Each time I update with the Q&ER, it only downloads the price for Dec 18 2017?
    Does anyone else have this issue? Does this date mean anything?

12. 12 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 Jan, 2018 05:57 PM

1656 can be downloaded from http://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software

Hope this helps

13. 13 Posted by Pierre on 11 Jan, 2018 01:51 AM

Thanks for your help. I am running build 1656. However, the Q&ER still will not update quotes past dec 18th 2017 for my mutual funds. Some funds it will just say no data.

14. 14 Posted by Pierre on 11 Jan, 2018 02:30 AM

I have noticed that Alphavantage is downloading. It just continues to download the same date Dec 18th 2017 each time?

If any others understand why it would do this let me know.

Thankyou Derek for your help. I have looked over your work around for the third party method. Thanks for that.

15. 15 Posted by Pierre on 13 Jan, 2018 05:27 AM

Alphavantage will still only update Dec 18 2017 price quote?

Anyone know why it will only update this date? How do I get it to update the current date?

I have tried a new API for alphavantage but this did not change the date it updates for

16. 16 Posted by derekkent23 on 13 Jan, 2018 10:35 AM

I checked your three example symbols you provided only two work and the last quotes for these are dated Dec 18 2017. This is a Alpha Vantage issue and can't be fixed by Moneydance.

By the way ran the third-party stand-alone program and that returned all three and is up to date. see attached. Take a look at PDF in this post. http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

Hope this helps.

17. 17 Posted by Pierre on 13 Jan, 2018 07:56 PM

Again thank you for the help.
    If Alpha Vantage does not support Canadian mutual funds then I will have to use the third party method.
    I just was not sure if I was doing something wrong. No one else seemed to mention any issues with updating unit prices. All of my funds come up with no data or only returns a price for dec 18, 2017. I am not sure why Alpha would issue a unit prices up to that date and then stop updating.
    If anyone can explain why Alpha is not working, please let me know. I would also like to know if it is working for your Canadian Mutual Funds. How do you correct the situation if possible?

In addition, is Moneydance still trying to fix the issue or is it satisfied with the third party fix and is no longer working on the problem. If so will the third party fix become a built in extension for their software?

Pierre

18. Support Staff 18 Posted by Ethan on 13 Jan, 2018 08:39 PM

We're still searching for better solutions, but at the moment, Alpha Vantage is the only service we've found that provides a wide coverage of securities at no cost in a format that third-party software can use. We are definitely aware that it is not meeting all of our customer's needs.

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

19. 19 Posted by Pierre on 14 Jan, 2018 11:58 AM

It is nice to hear back from Moneydance.
    It just seems like users are the only ones working on the problem.
    I would like Moneydance to know that I would appreciate a Moneydance extension not a third party work around to downloading unit prices.
    Please advise users on the progress; a few update reports would be appreciated.

20. 20 Posted by Pierre on 24 Mar, 2018 12:45 PM

Still no change to alphavantage ability to update canadian mutual funds

Are we still looking for a source to use with the updater on moneydance

21. 21 Posted by don.armstrong on 30 Mar, 2018 03:50 PM

I am also waiting for this issue to be resolved. For several of my Canadian funds old quotes are still being returned (using Yahoo's fund codes) from Alphavantage, but there have been no new quotes since Dec 2017. Other funds simply return "No data found".

I tried switching a couple from the Yahoo code to standard Can. fund code (e.g. PIMCO Monthly Income A, yahoo code F00000LVW4, standard code PMO005) but standard codes seem to be totally unrecognized.

22. 22 Posted by derekkent23 on 30 Mar, 2018 04:14 PM

Hi don.armstrong

I use a free stand-alone program to obtain quotes and then import the results into Moneydance.

I entered your example fund into the program and it returned a quote. See screen shot.

The program was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The program is in java, like Moneydance and thus runs on Windows, Mac and Linux computers. The developer has adapted it to work with Moneydance and is actively supporting the program. This program is very stable and the quotes very consistent with the option of two sources, not Alpha Vantage. No strange prices. It has a lot of useful features. These include, obtaining prices from many stocks and fund quoted on different exchanges, US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia. The program has the ability to convert quotes from one currency to another. Convert prices in Pence to Pounds, if required, for UK stocks and funds. More features in the pipeline. Provide a means for importing all this data into Moneydance. You can also import exchange rates along with your security prices, if required.

Take a look at his thread and download the PDF outlining how to use the program and link to download the program.

http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3036-third-par...

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac