using over a mixed network?

icyspook

07 Aug, 2009 02:49 AM

i'd like to use moneydance over a network. i want to access the same account file thru the network, from two different computers - one is a mac and one is a pc. i want to have full functionality from both computers, entering transactions, paying bills, etc. can i do this?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 07 Aug, 2009 03:04 PM

Hi

You can definitely do this. The most important warning is that you should not have the same moneydance data file open on to computers at exactly the same time. Just as if you had a Microsoft word document you should not open it on two computers at the same time.

Moneydance stores all the account data and transactions in a single file with a .md extension. The file format is the same regardless of the operating system you are running on. How you share that file is up to you. My current preference is to store the file in the free online service called dropbox www.getdropbox.com That is probably the easiest method and it requires an Internet connection. The reason I like it is if I take my laptop on a trip I can still access my data. Alternatively you could store the file on your windows machine and create a windows share. The headache with using a windows share between macs and windows machines is dealing the file permissions and it it totality doable. I aslo store my data on a linux server and access it from a variety of operating systems.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by Sandaltree on 08 Aug, 2009 01:54 AM

Hi,
    I had the exact same question as icyspook. Thanks for the answer.

I recently added a MacBook Pro to my PC-centric network and am looking for a personal finance program that enabled its data to be shared across a network and across platforms.

I have a follow up question: Is there is a size limit for Moneydance files?

My Quicken file size is about 23MB. I recently found out that Quicken files over 15MB are not recommended as they could become corrupted. My file's size was apparently the cause for Quicken 2009 crashing on certain features.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 08 Aug, 2009 04:29 AM

Hi

I asked the developer this just a few weeks ago and there is no practical limit to the file size. The unique id used for each transaction can theoretically support billions of transactions. Having a large file will not result in file corruption.

Ben

4. Raimund Buchholz closed this discussion on 01 Feb, 2010 10:55 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac