transfert to categories

lambert

13 Aug, 2017 07:11 AM

Hi
if i want to make a transfert between a account to one other account/categorie , i can't do that , i have only the possibility to do for an account.

I hope you understand my poor english
regards

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 13 Aug, 2017 08:21 AM

When you enter a payment transaction you should be able to select the Category field and then select an account or category from the list presented

2. 2 Posted by lambert on 13 Aug, 2017 11:17 AM

My English is too poor
    If i choice categorie for destination it doesn't appear on the account ??

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 13 Aug, 2017 11:36 AM

When you make a payment from an account it is either a transfer to another account or it is paying something like a bill, it cannot be both, hence you select either a category or an account, there is no such thing as categorizing a transfer.

Perhaps if you could explain what you are trying to do and your objective we could better advise on an approach.

4. 4 Posted by lambert on 14 Aug, 2017 07:59 AM

My English is too poor, i put pictures to explain
    I make a transfert between "caisse d'epargne" to compte courant"
    if i want to choice in compte courant the categorie "xxxxxxx" the operation does'nt appear in compte courant, i dont know where is it .. i just have the 500€ less in caisse d'épargne and nothing on compte courant

regards

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 14 Aug, 2017 09:28 AM

I think I understand what you are doing and why you are seeing the outcomes you are.

Moneydance is built on the principles of Double Entry accounting, the basic principle is that for every Credit there must be a corresponding and equal Debit.

Categories in Moneydance are just a special type of account, in general they represent Income and Expenditure items whereas accounts represent Asset and Liability type items.

Thus to comply with the rules of double entry when you take money from a bank account you can place it into either another account or into a category, you cannot place it into both an account and a category as that would be using the same funds twice.

You do not state why you want to categorize these funds as well as transfer them between accounts, in most instances you would not be doing this, for example if you were transferring funds to a credit card you would not categorize the transfer but you would categorize the individual payment transactions made using the credit card.

If you really need to categorize the transaction then it is necessary to create a second entry in order to comply with the rules. For example the first entry may debit one and credit the category you want to use, the second entry would credit the other account and be categorized using a specifically created category for the purpose.

6. 6 Posted by lambert on 15 Aug, 2017 10:19 AM

Ok for your good explanations
    Iwill see how i can do that. I just want to follow and opération ( with credit and debit ) , throw my bank account

regards

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac