Current balance and balance are different?

Mike Murphy

05 Feb, 2017 07:18 PM

Hi. I'm switching from Quicken Windows -> Quicken Mac -> Moneydance. I finally found I can export from Quicken Mac and rename the file with a qif extension, which I did. I finally got the import to show all the dates, which took hours and hours and many retries. But it shows some accounts I don't have with hundreds of thousands of dollars in it. Wish I did have that, LOL. Anyways, long story short, I deleted the extra accounts, which now made all my balances in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. So, I manually entered some adjustments to bring the balance down to where it should be. BUT, I have one account that shows a current balance of 12,270.42 in the left hand bar, and then a balance of 5,195.98 in the register side , which is the right balance. I don't know how to fix this. It showed up after I deleted an old liability account. I tried to make an adjustment with the old account amount, which corrected the balance, but not the current balance. It's pretty confusing.

Anyways, any suggestions on how I can fix this besides changing the preferences?

Thanks.

Mike Murphy

1. 1 Posted by Robert Garrett on 26 Mar, 2017 03:50 PM

I'm having a similar issue, also after importing from Quicken. Quite a few of my account balances were wrong, so I've been working through the documented process for correcting them (using Account->edit account and providing a calculated initial balance).
    I just notice that on several of the accounts now, after appearing with correct balances for a short time, are now showing a current balance of $0.00 in the account summary, however the running balance as shown in the register is correct. What gives here?

2. 2 Posted by Robert Garrett on 26 Mar, 2017 04:15 PM

Looking into this more, I now believe that the grossly incorrect account balances (off by hundreds of thousands of dollars) are caused by the QIF import process not correctly handling transactions that contain splits when some of the split entries themselves are in fact transfers to/from other accounts.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Henry on 21 Apr, 2017 12:53 PM

Hi Mike and Robert,

Before we proceed, I want to double check, did you both follow the instructions here? There are some errors that can happen in the importing process that are prevented by following the instructions on that page.

Here are a list of possible errors you might have and their solutions.

If you've done it all correctly, please let me know and we can look at additional solutions.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Mike Murphy on 21 Apr, 2017 02:24 PM

This was so long ago I forgot about it. I figured out how to do it. I think my problem was deleting some accounts and then that affected the balances in other accounts. So after many re-imports, I found I could just hide them. I can’t even remember now. LOL

Anyways, I’m good to go and have been for a while.

Thanks.

Mike Murphy

5. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 21 Apr, 2017 02:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac