Please Note: We've moved Moneydance and SyncSpace's support to a new location. Please join us for support and discussion at infinitekind.zendesk.com.

Fifth Third Bank's New Online Bill Payment System

william5543

01 Sep, 2011 11:53 AM

I just received an email that Fifth Third Bank is going to a "new" bill payment system effective September 12, 2011. The new system webpages show a list of changes that Quicken/Quick Book users will have to make. Will Money Dance users have to make similar changes? Assuming this is going to require some modifications, do you have any idea when we will be able to use MD again with Fifth Third? I'm running on MAC OSX 8.6.8. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Long Time Money Dance User

1. 1 Posted by Richard on 01 Sep, 2011 09:13 PM

I got this same message from Fifth Third Bank and have the same question. Today, I tried repeatedly to access online banking via Moneydance and it hangs on me. I've never seen this happen before. I was able to use the Moneydance online banking a few days ago without a problem. I am wondering whether this is just a temporary glitch with Fifth Third's service or whether the interface has changed already? Why does software just hang on me, anyway? Shouldn't it try and say why it is hanging?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Jessica Little on 02 Sep, 2011 02:05 PM

Thanks for letting us know about this. I'll look into what changes we'll need to make so that you all will still be able to connect in Moneydance after the 12th. Could you possibly copy the text of the email you received from Fifth Third here? That will help me make sure that we are updating our system correctly.

Also, Richard, the current connection to Fifth Third still appears to be working from our end. You might have experienced a temporary glitch. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the old server is glitching right before they plan on taking it down.

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

3. 3 Posted by william5543 on 02 Sep, 2011 03:15 PM

Jessica,

Here is the complete email that I received from Fifth Third. Please let me know if you need anything else. I appreciate your quick response.

Bill
    William N. Anderson
    Cell: 517-231-5452
    Home: 517-541-0592
    [email blocked]

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "[email blocked]" <[email blocked]>
    > Date: August 31, 2011 5:33:38 PM EDT
    > To: [email blocked]
    > Subject: [Bulk] Fifth Third Bank Online Bill Payment Changes - September 12, 2011
    > Reply-To: "[email blocked]" <[email blocked]>
    >
    > Fifth Third Bank Online Bill Payment Changes
    > Having trouble viewing this email? Click here.
    > To view the Mobile version of this message Click here.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On September 12, 2011, Fifth Third Bank will be transitioning to a new Online Bill Payment system. We want to make you aware of some important updates that will change the way you pay your bills online.
    >
    > Click here to learn more about the updated features and functions of Fifth Third's Online Bill Payment System.
    >
    > For your convenience, we have developed informative tools to help you learn more about the changes to come:
    >
    > Our Online Demo — A quick overview to help understand our new system.
    >
    >
    >
    > Our Interactive Demo — A more detailed, hands-on way to learn how the new system works.
    >
    >
    >
    > FAQ — A list of the most common questions and answers about changes to the system, along with information on new features and functionality.
    >
    >
    >
    > Customer Support — Call us 24/7 at 1-855-828-2929 to address any questions or concerns. We have 24/7 extended customer support to assist you during the transition.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Have questions
    > or concerns?
    >
    > We're here to help, 24/7.
    > Call 1-855-828-2929
    >
    > What to Expect
    >
    > Quicken/QuickBooks Users
    > If you are a current online bill payment customer you should continue to pay bills as you do today, until you are converted to the new Online Bill Payment system on September 12, 2011. Over conversion weekend, September 10 & 11, 2011, the bill payment function within Quicken/QuickBooks will not be available. When you are converted to the new system on September 12, 2011, you will need to update your Quicken/QuickBooks bill pay program at that time. All Quicken users will need to perform some maintenance. For more information click here.
    >
    > Due Date Model
    > Our new Due Date Model is the most important change we've made to your Online Bill Payment experience. The previous system required you to deduct payments from your account up to 5 days before a bill's due date. With the new system, your bills will be paidon their due date, keeping funds in your account until the date the payment is due. This is similar to writing a check, since funds are not deducted from your account until the check is cashed.
    >
    > The system accounts for pending and scheduled payments and provides a working balance to help you keep track of your available funds. Remember, there is no longer a need to pre-date payments with the new Due Date Model. You can learn more about the new Due Date Model in our Frequently Asked Questions.
    >
    > Migrating Your Existing Information
    > We're making the move to our new system simpler by automatically transferring your existing payment information for you. Because there's no need to pre-date bills, your scheduled payments will be updated to reflect the actual due dates. Fifth Third guarantees to successfully complete your online bill payments by their due dates, and will pay any associated fees if payments are not properly made.*
    >
    > System Availability
    > On Saturday and Sunday, September 10 and 11, 2011, Online Bill Payment will be temporarily unavailable while we migrate information to the new system. Our new Online Bill Payment System will be available to use on the morning of Monday, September 12, 2011.
    >
    > Terms and Conditions
    > The first time you access the new Online Bill Payment system, you will be prompted to review and accept our Terms and Conditions before you begin using the service.
    >
    > We hope you find our new Online Bill Payment system to be more efficient and convenient than ever. Please contact us with any questions or concerns during your transition or as you use the new system. Most importantly, we want to thank you for your continued loyalty to Fifth Third Bank.
    >
    >
    > *Subject to Internet Banking and Bill Payment User Agreement. Fifth Third will pay up to $250 in associated fees that are incurred as a result of a late or incorrect payment.
    >
    >
    >
    > Contact Us | Branch & ATM Locator | Privacy & Security | Email Info
    >
    > Please do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us, please click here.
    >
    > Privacy and Security
    > Keeping your financial information secure is one of our most important responsibilities. If you have questions, please review the Fifth Third Online Privacy Statement.
    >
    > Fifth Third chooses not to send active links in emails when the recipient will be prompted to input personal information such as User ID and Password. This is done to protect our users and customers from phishing email. Your email system may automatically convert certain character strings into URL links. We strongly recommend not using any URL links in this email or other emails and that you type, or cut and paste the information into your browser to ensure that you are directed only to the authentic web site you wish to view. Once you type or copy and paste the link into your browser, you may wish to save it to your “Favorites” folder so you may more easily return to this web site in the future.
    >
    > Fifth Third will never use a link in email to ask for User ID(s), password(s) or PIN(s), Social Security number(s), card or account number(s), cardholder verification value(s) (CVV2), or user defined challenge information (e.g., mother's maiden name, place of birth, etc.). If such a message is received, please immediately forward it to [email blocked].
    >
    > Copyright © 2011 Fifth Third Bank Member FDIC,
    >
    > Equal Housing Lender, 38 Fountain Square
    > Plaza Cincinnati, Ohio 45202.
    >
    >
    >
    >

4. 4 Posted by william5543 on 02 Sep, 2011 03:19 PM

Jessica,

I have just forwarded the email that I received from Fifth Third. I used your "From:" email address. Please confirm when you receive it. Thanks.

Bill
    William N. Anderson
    Cell: 517-231-5452
    Home: 517-541-0592
    [email blocked]

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jessica Little on 02 Sep, 2011 03:31 PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks, I got it. One thing: could you please send me the URL linked to in this sentence?

"All Quicken users will need to perform some maintenance. For more information click here."

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

6. 6 Posted by william5543 on 02 Sep, 2011 03:37 PM

Here you go ...

https://www.53.com/bill-pay/faq.html. The Quicken info is at the the bottom of the FAQ.

Bill

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Jessica Little on 02 Sep, 2011 03:58 PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks, that was helpful.

It looks like we won't be able to update our systems until they take their old system down on the 10th. However, we should be able to have our database updated by the 12th. Once that happens, you'll need to recreate your connection in Moneydance. I'll post steps for that once the connection has been updated.

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

8. 8 Posted by A & P on 05 Sep, 2011 02:36 PM

We don't have Money Dance or Quicken, but still can't access Bill Pay because it is down for the third week in a row. Hard to pay bills while working and caring for elderly parent if the function is not available when you need it.

9. 9 Posted by Clark on 14 Sep, 2011 03:27 AM

I have converted my fifth third account and there is a flaw with there on-line bill pay system. I guess you could say the bill-pay works ok but every time I connect, fifth third sends me all of my old transactions even though I have already received them. They do not consider this a flaw.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Jessica Little on 14 Sep, 2011 08:16 PM

Hi Clark,

Has this happened to you multiple times, or just the first time you connected after the switch?

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

11. 11 Posted by william5543 on 14 Sep, 2011 08:24 PM

Jessica,

Looks like I must have missed something. When and where did you post the steps to recreate the connection between MD and Fifth Third?

Thanks

Bill

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Jessica Little on 14 Sep, 2011 08:34 PM

Hi Bill,

Sorry about the confusion. As far as I can tell, Fifth Third's update didn't actually change anything from Moneydance's point of view. I hadn't posted anything because I was waiting to see if that would change. However, if your account isn't working, here are the steps you can take to recreate your connection.

1) Select your bank account in Moneydance
    2) Select the Online->Setup Online Banking button/menu
    3) Click the Disable button. If you don't see a disable button, continue to step 5.
    4) Select the Online->Setup Online Banking button/menu (again)
    5) Click the New Connection button and select your bank from the list of available institutions that pops up. Hit OK
    6) Continue with the setup process, entering your username/password
    7) Repeat steps 1-6 for any additional accounts

Make sure you pick new connection, even though your bank is still one of the connection choices after you disable it. Choosing your bank from the list of available banks will force Moneydance to download the updated information, which should then allow you to connect.

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

13. 13 Posted by Clark on 14 Sep, 2011 09:07 PM

Jessica,
    This isn't a Moneydance issue for me. I use another software but was affected by their change and when I saw your thread thought I would give you the added info. I talked to a customer rep who actually took me through the steps and when I told her of the issue after completing the changeover process, which was all the old transactions being downloaded to my computer each time I logged in, she said that was an issue but did not consider it their problem.

14. 14 Posted by Richard on 14 Sep, 2011 09:52 PM

I was able to use Moneydance on Monday with 53 Bank and everything went fine. However, I did not use Moneydance to create any payments, deciding to use the website this time to see what they had changed there. Then I went to Moneydance and downloaded the transactions and also refreshed my list of payees. The payees showed up fine after I hit the refresh button in Moneydance. So, I think everything is working without needing to modify any set up. Next weekend I'll try and do the payments from Moneydance. I am confident that it should work. I think Jessica is right when she said nothing has changed for MD users who use 53 Bank.

15. 15 Posted by Arthur Hartman on 19 Sep, 2011 08:59 PM

I put in the web site you sent with your instructions and this is where I ended up. I need to make the changes to my Quickens to accomodate your new system. All I see here is Moneydance. I called the help line but there is an hour wait which tells me your instuctions are a failure. I have been with 5/3 for over 25 years but if I don't get help and get thing solved quickley I am changing banks. How will you figure out if my answer below is correct?

16. 16 Posted by Bill hASKINS on 19 Sep, 2011 09:38 PM

Where is the info re Quicken ? I understand we may have to do some "maintenance" re using Quicken with Fifth Third but where is the guidance ? Not sure why I was directed to this URL ??? There is nothing here for me .

17. 17 Posted by richard on 19 Sep, 2011 09:55 PM

Bill and Arthur,
    Try posting your complaint on the 5/3 bank website, you might get a reply there. I doubt 5/3 bank uses this website.

18. 18 Posted by Karen VanHoose on 19 Sep, 2011 10:38 PM

I use Quicken 2010 and cannot update my account from fifth third bank. I had the account so I hit the button "update" and it would update my quicken account so I knew what had been paid and what was still outstanding. What do I need to do so I can continue to use my quicken account?

19. 19 Posted by dillydee on 20 Sep, 2011 01:17 AM

Cant change when bills are due, it has a set date, and all the due dates are wrong! its so messed up!!!! thinking about taking my money else where, to a bank where I can choose when the bill is due!!!

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Jessica Little on 20 Sep, 2011 02:29 PM

As stated earlier, this is the support forum for Moneydance Personal Finance software, not for Quicken or Fifth Third Bank. You can contact Quicken and Fifth Third using their respective websites.

Since this issue is resolved in Moneydance, I'm going to close this thread to avoid further confusion. If any Moneydance users experience problems with Fifth Third, please open a new thread for support.

Jessica Little
    Moneydance Support

21. Jessica Little closed this discussion on 20 Sep, 2011 02:29 PM.

22. william5543 re-opened this discussion on 28 Sep, 2011 08:03 PM

23. 21 Posted by william5543 on 28 Sep, 2011 08:21 PM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: Fifth Third Connection problem

Jessica,

Today I tried to make my first online payment since the Fifth Third Bank changes to their system. First I received "There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The details of this error are below." It only listed my account information and the Bank Name below.

I than attempted to follow your steps to recreate my connection. I was able to "Disable" per your step 3, but when the next screen came up the "New Connection" button was greyed out and would not function.

Later I tried to "Disable" again but that button was no longer available. So I tried to make my online payment again and received the same "Error communicating" message again. Strangely, (maybe not with 53 involved) I checked the Fifth Third site and my payment had gone through, but the Payee had reverted back to "Chase-Bank One" which had previously been "Chase Card Services". The address and account number appeared to be correct.

I checked my Online Bill Payment info in Money Dance and several of the accounts have reverted back to old Payee Names. Also I am not sure all of my payees are there.

Something is not right. Hopefully, you can provide some additional direction. Maybe just something I don't understand.

Once again, I will appreciate your assistance on this.

Bill

24. Jessica Little closed this discussion on 29 Sep, 2011 03:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac