Fidelity Investments Signature VISA

zrob

20 Mar, 2017 03:33 PM

Hi,

Please do what is necessary to allow users of Moneydance to download transactions for their Fidelity Investments Signature VISA card. Right now, I have to jump to the site, download a QIF file with the transactions and then import them into Moneydance. This is very inconvenient. I'd much rather download the transactions directly like I do with my other accounts.

Thanks,

Robert

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ian O on 20 Mar, 2017 03:56 PM

Hi Robert,

Moneydance supports automatic connections via Direct Connect and you can view a list of financial institutions that support this feature here - http://infinitekind.com/fi
    Unfortunately, it appears your bank does not support this feature, which Moneydance requires in order to talk directly to a bank. If your bank decides to use Direct Connect in the future we will be happy to assist in setting up a connection.

Without Direct Connect, the best way to get your files into Moneydance is to use a web browser to download them from your bank's web site. You can download into QFX, OFX or OFC files (aka Quicken or MS Money files), any of which will import cleanly into Moneydance.

You can also open your bank's download page directly (after entering the appropriate address in the Account --> Edit Account menu) by going to the menu bar and selecting Online --> Open Account Website, which makes the download process easier.

I hope this information is helpful, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by zrob on 20 Mar, 2017 04:27 PM

Hi Ian,

I appreciate the info but it is a boilerplate response that makes it
    seem like you did not actually read my post. I mentioned in my post I
    already download the transactions in the form of a data file and import
    them into Moneydance. I'm looking for a better solution, preferably
    direct download.

The card is managed by Elan Financial Services, which I confirmed isn't
    on the list.

Who makes the contact with financial providers about direct downloads?
    Do we, the users of Moneydance make the call or does Infinite Kind do
    it? I'm inclined to say Infinite Kind since the financial institution
    may require information users like me may not have available to us.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Robert

Ian O wrote:

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ian O on 20 Mar, 2017 04:35 PM

Hi Robert,

Moneydance required a Direct Connect connection to be enabled on an account at the banks end. This connection type required specific infrastructure that the bank has to have in place for Moneydance to make a connection. Unfortunately, not all banks support this connection type. The decision to support this connection type lies with the bank. I would recommend contacting your bank in the hope that enough customers have asked for this connection type that it may start to support Direct Connect. If your bank decides to support Direct Connect in future, we will be happy to assist in setting up a connection.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by zrob on 09 May, 2017 01:01 PM

Ian,

Your response isn't helpful. I can contact the bank but what if they require information that only you, the developer, can provide them? I feel like you're putting the responsibility of making this happen onto me, the user, when in fact, the compatibility issue is between your product and the bank. Don't you think it's in the best interest of your product for you to do what you can to make it compatible with one of the more popular banks?

Robert

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ian O on 10 May, 2017 11:06 AM

Hi Robert,

Ideally, all financial institutions would support Direct Connect but this is sadly not the case. In terms of getting banks to implement Direct Connect as a connections method we unfortunately have very little sway. We are looking into other connection methods that will allow our customers connect to a larger number of banks. Unfortunately, this is a long term goal and although we are making progress we are looking to how this can be implemented in a way that meets our high security standard. You can read our lead developers thoughts on the connection types and security concerns in this blog post.

Ian O
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 10 May, 2017 11:31 AM

Robert,

For Direct Connect what your Bank needs to implement is a client/server OFX system, Direct Connect is another name for this.

The specification and other implementation information on this can be found on the OFX Consortium website:

http://www.ofx.net/

There should be nothing your bank needs from the moneydance folks, in the long run Moneydance would need to gather information from the bank if the bank implements the system.

7. 7 Posted by zrob on 10 May, 2017 12:18 PM

DWG,

That's one of my points. The bank and the developers need to work together. I, the user, can ask but I'll get nowhere without IK contacting and working with the bank. I've done my part already and it's an exercise in futility. IK needs to take the next step. As the developer, they'll have more pull than a Moneydance user.

Robert

Sent from my iPad

8. 8 Posted by dwg on 10 May, 2017 09:08 PM

Robert,

I'm afraid I have to disagree on who has more pull.

The Infinite Kind is a pretty small software house and I would doubt if they are a customer of your bank so my expectation is the bank would take absolutely no notice of them. If however a reasonable number of customers wants something the bank tends to listen more as it could result in a loss of business if they do not.

In other words it is who has more influence on their bottom line that has more pull.

9. 9 Posted by zrob on 10 May, 2017 09:34 PM

Customers getting Elan Financial Services to make the changes? Yeah. Good luck with that.

Robert

10. 10 Posted by dwg on 10 May, 2017 09:40 PM

Sounds like the major Australian banks, to get them to do something needs government legislation, even then I expect them to lobby to get it changed to what they want :)

11. 11 Posted by momrahman on 16 Jun, 2017 12:45 AM

Perhaps IK could create a petition for us to be able to speak with one larger voice? IK could show proof that they have lots of customers asking for this. They could put a link/button in their software after the list of supported banks - "if you don't see your bank on this list, do you want to add your name to a request for access that will be sent to your bank?"

12. System closed this discussion on 15 Sep, 2017 12:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac