Expense reports for un-budgeted items

Andrew

21 Sep, 2018 10:25 PM

Is there a way to get a report on all expense categories that are not included in any budget?

I'm looking for something a bit like the "Cash Flow" or "Cash Flow Detailed", just filtered for non-budgeted categories and transactions. The idea is partly to debug budgets (by identifying categories I missed) and partly to catch any unexpected expenses in intentionally non-budgeted categories.

The budget report has an "include categories not defined in budget" option, but that isn't what I'm looking for.

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 21 Sep, 2018 10:46 PM

just a user,

That should be fairly straight forward to do. Just chose the report type that has the output format you like. Then click "show" to show all categories "By Individual", then click "all" to select everything, then look through the individual list and deselect those that you have used for your budget. That should give you everything not included in your budget.

2. 2 Posted by Andrew on 21 Sep, 2018 11:25 PM

It's not a bad idea as a oneshot, but I wouldn't want to rely on that long term. I've never had any procedure that relies on "manually keeping two data sets in sync" not eventually get out of sync. Sooner or later I'll update the budget but not the report, or vice-versa.

(it's also quite painful to pick out a lot of categories by hand)

3. 3 Posted by mhoggie on 21 Sep, 2018 11:58 PM

Well, if you really want to automate the budget vs non-budget reporting, you probably need to set up a separate branch of categories just for budgeting purposes. Then all you would need to do in your report is just to exclude the budgeting category branch for your report to see all the non-budgeted activity. As long as you only use the budgeting categories, then the report would always be accurate. By the way, I expect you are aware that MD will not pickup any budgeted activity on account to account activity. I.E. if you try to budget a loan payment, Moneydance will not capture the activity. There are a few work arounds, but it's still an issue.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac