Copying Budget values from month to month within budget tool

Ellen Williams

06 Jul, 2018 10:15 PM

Hi,

I would like to automatically copy values from a previous month to the next month in the budget. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,
Ellen

1. 1 Posted by gerrywattier on 07 Jul, 2018 05:31 AM

Gerry Wattier
    I am a fellow user.
    Here is what I have been doing.
    Select the amount from the previous month then click <edit> at the top of the page then <copy> in the drop down window then place courser in the next month and paste.
    This is still labor intensive. For may of my categories I just want to distribute an annual budgeted amount equally over each month of the year. There was a method to do this in the previous software that I used. I entered the monthly amount in January then told the software to enter the same amount for each month . Does anyone know if such a a method is available in Moneydance?

2. 2 Posted by Jane Hamilton on 14 Jul, 2018 10:58 AM

I am having similar problems. I am clicking copy and rollover previous period, but it is not working.

3. 3 Posted by Jane Hamilton on 14 Jul, 2018 11:00 AM

I have a similar problem. I am clicking copy and rollover previous period but it is not working.

4. 4 Posted by Paul Gauntlett on 27 Aug, 2018 12:52 PM

Just hit the same problem. However, I found that once I closed Moneydance and restarted it the budget had in fact then copied to the following month. There seems to be a big “refresh” issue here - or is it just on the Mac?

5. 5 Posted by mhoggie on 27 Aug, 2018 03:15 PM

I have my budget set up using the old "mixed period" style. It keeps the budget set for each month going forward. You can edit to change the budget amount any time or in a future date.

6. 6 Posted by Paul Gauntlett on 27 Aug, 2018 06:14 PM

Thanks! I am not familiar with the old "mixed period" format. Does that also allow you to roll over any unused balance in a category? Or does that have to be calculated and entered manually each month?

7. 7 Posted by mhoggie on 27 Aug, 2018 11:49 PM

When you set up a new budget, you will notice when you click the "Period" drop down , "Mixed Intervals (Old Style)" is listed. I've tried both formats and the Mixed Intervals works the best for me. Once you create the new budget , you click it in your taskbar to display the empty budget and a button at the top to edit. You can set up start and End dates as needed, but defaults "End Dates" are not set. The budget amount set continue month to month until you change the amounts or dates. The budget display itself does not carry forward the surplus or deficit amounts, but you can easily see that information a couple of different ways. 1st, the graph bar at the top of the main window can be set to show the budget and you set it up for current month, last 30 days, current year, last 30 days, last 365 days. Also you can set up a few budget reports under tools, graphs and reports, to view your progress as needed. You can memorize various periods of the budget report and have them available in the side bar for quick access. There is one issue with the entire budget system that is in contention. For some reason, you cannot pick up transfers to other accounts you have set up in MD to view in your budget. For instance, you want to budget the payment amounts made to credit cards, car loans, mortgage, etc. Since you may already have accounts set up for those, the transaction to make payments to those accounts will be ignored by MD Budgeting. It did not always work like that, but someone in an upgrade this past year decided that it was not needed. I assume the assumption was that you could budget principle and interest payments. But that would be impossible in a mortgage because the payment is the only amount that stays the same. The principle and interest is always changing month by month. This has been reported back to MD support, and I expect someday, they will address it. I've never heard of a budget where you don't budget mortgage and car loan payments. But, fortunately there are some work arounds. You can capture simple transfers to other accounts by simply adding a category for the account payment. Then when you set up the reminder for the payment, in addition to the normal payment or transfer to the account, you add a split in the payment to make an additional payment of the same amount to the special payment category you created. Then another split to re-add the amount as a deposit to a "null" category" In that way, your payment is recorded normally and the MD budget will pick up the payments to the special payment category when set up in the budget. I have several set up like that. Once you have a reminder created with the additional splits, all you have to do is adjust the amounts if needed. Mortgage and loan payments are a little more complicated, because the mortgage and loan payments reminders are set up in MD to adjust the principle and interest payments and I have not found a way to add the additional splits to the payments to the budget will capture the activity. But I did successfully create a dummy account to make my payments to where I could use the special payment category, then have the normal mortgage payments reminders use that account to make the normal principle and interest payments. It all works without effort once you get the idea. Hopefully someday, it will not be needed.

8. 8 Posted by Paul Business on 28 Aug, 2018 06:58 AM

Thank you so much for taking so much time to explain mixed interval budgeting. I have had a play. I do find it a clearer presentation than the new style. The one thing that irks me is that there is no “budgeted remaining column “. Naively I would have thought that this was one of the most important tools to control discretionary spending.

Whilst I am fortunate enough to no longer have mortgage or car loan repayments I am confident that your explanation of work around in that area will be an enormous help to many users.

Thank you!

--
    Paul :
    [email blocked]

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac