Fund based accounting

Jen

02 Aug, 2017 03:17 PM

Hello,

I need to be able to enter in entries that will not be used until at a later date. For example: I have tax return money fund that I save up for and I add to that fund each paycheck but wouldn't use it until the end of the year. How is the best way to do this? I have tried to work with budgeting but it doesn't appear that it subtracts from the current balance, which can result in overspending.

Thanks,

Jen Norell

1. 1 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 02 Aug, 2017 10:59 PM

Hi Jen,

I'm the developer of a Moneydance extension called Money Foresight. Its main purpose is to show you whether or not you will have enough money in the future to pay for the things you want to pay for. e.g. tax payments.

It does this with 2 main features:
    * Displays a forecast of your future spending (based on reminders that you set up). * Compares your actual past spending with your expected past spending (so that you know whether or not you can trust your forecast).

The extension costs $10 USD, but you can try it out for free for as long as you like with the one restriction that it is limited to a one month forecast.

It can be installed via Moneydance's Extension Manager (menu -> Extensions -> Manage Extensions ...).

I think it does exactly what you are looking for. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have or hear any feedback about the extension.

Regards,
    Kevin

2. 2 Posted by jen on 08 Aug, 2017 03:33 PM

Hi Kevin,

What exactly am I purchasing with Money Foresight? I have tried to research to see if I can see all the features that Money Foresight provides but do not see any place where it lists them. Just looking at the program today, now without Money Foresight installed, I’m not seeing a reason to use it but probably haven’t played with Money Dance enough to know any better. If you could please send a list of the features that Money Foresight gives you that would be awesome and maybe helpful to others as well. Also, if I decide to purchase it how is that done? I see an option to purchase which is linked to your webpage but don’t see anywhere to enter in the code to purchase it.

Thank you much,

Jen Norell

3. 3 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 08 Aug, 2017 10:33 PM

Hi Jen,

I must apologise for the lack of documentation. I understand the inconvenience and it is something I would like to put some time into. In the meantime, let me refer to my previous post which mentions the 2 main features, which are intended to solve the exact problem that I think you are describing in your original post.

To describe the problem in my own words, I want to know that I will be able to afford things that I want to pay for at some point in the future. In order to do this, I need to know how all my regular income and expenses as well as any irregular income or expenses will affect my account balances at any point in the future. That's what Money Foresight's forecast feature does. But I also want to know that I can trust the forecast. Which is where the review feature comes into play. It can tell me if my actual spending is above or below what I expected it to be as time goes by.

As you've found out, there are limitations to the existing budgeting functionality in Moneydance and if I've understood your problem correctly, Money Foresight is the right tool for that problem. If I haven't understood your problem correctly I would love to hear more.

If you decide to purchase, you do so via the website (my apologies for the ugly site. Its something else I need to put some time into).
    http://moneyforesight.com/purchase

You will then receive an email with a registration code. Open Money Foresight and you should see a 'Register' option on the main menu. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Happy to answer any more questions and especially interested in hearing more about the problems you need solved.

Regards,
    Kevin

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac