Simple budget

MAC

15 May, 2017 11:49 PM

I just decided to try to budget my money through MD. WoW, I sure do wish MD and extensions would get together. What I am trying to do is create a simple budget. All I want to do is set budget amount for my income (what I deposit not my salary), my expenses which includes what I spend on my liabilities, credit cards and loans (including mortgage) I don't need a detail list in my paycheck for each amount just what i deposit. Then I would like MD to let me know how I am doing actual compared to budget, weather i am on track or not (behind or ahead). Now money forecast does come close but its just for reminders and not transaction like for groceries fuel household items etc. So basically all I want is a big picture of my monthly cash flow (or what ever interval). Is there a way of doing this? If not shouldn't it be implemented into MD as I think this is what most people want for a budget. I would appreciate any input as to how to do this,. weather MD itself or through an extension. Im also sending a copy of this to the extension development.

Thank you for your time.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jenny on 16 May, 2017 11:41 AM

Hi,

Can you let me know which budget format you're using? There are two budget formats available within Moneydance - the 'Newer' format, and the 'Older Mixed Interval' format. You can find details of both budget formats in this article.
    Using the 'Newer' format, all your categories will be included as default, and must have the same time interval, e.g, monthly, weekly etc. Using the 'Older Mixed Interval' format - you can choose which categories you'd like to include and can set different time intervals for each.
    Have you tried using the 'Budget Bars' on the summary page? You can find details of this feature in this article. This allows you to see how you're managing your budget, and the bars are colour coded to easily highlight if you're on track.

Jenny
    Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac